X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Beethoven - "Wellington's Victory"

Curious history for this piece, played on R3 just now.

I guess I agree with this self assessment by LvB - "What I shit is better than anything you could ever think up!"

He wasn't always very modest though.

Do we have any feeling for what Beethoven actually felt about Wellington's victory? We know that earlier he had admired Napoleon - but that was before he started to have a dislike of the Emperor's ambitions - https://www.historytoday.com/archive...n-and-napoleon which led to his quick amendation of the dedication to his third symphony.

It's perhaps hard now to see whether Napoleon was overall a force for good - since we live in different times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon

This quote is interesting though

Napoleon had an extensive impact on the modern world, bringing liberal reforms to the numerous territories that he conquered and controlled, especially the Low Countries, Switzerland, and large parts of modern Italy and Germany. He implemented fundamental liberal policies in France and throughout Western Europe.[b] His lasting legal achievement, the Napoleonic Code, has been highly influential. Historian Andrew Roberts says, "The ideas that underpin our modern world—meritocracy, equality before the law, property rights, religious toleration, modern secular education, sound finances, and so on—were championed, consolidated, codified and geographically extended by Napoleon. To them he added a rational and efficient local administration, an end to rural banditry, the encouragement of science and the arts, the abolition of feudalism and the greatest codification of laws since the fall of the Roman Empire."
    Is that a fair assessment?
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

I guess I agree with this self assessment by LvB - "What I shit is better than anything you could ever think up!"

Do we have any feeling for what Beethoven actually felt about Wellington's victory? We know that earlier he had admired Napoleon - but that was before he started to have a dislike of the Emperor's ambitions - https://www.historytoday.com/archive...n-and-napoleon which led to his quick amendation of the dedication to his third symphony.

It's perhaps hard now to see whether Napoleon was overall a force for good - since we live in different times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon

I don’t think you can sum up Napoleon and his significance in a paragraph . I would have thought 1,000 words the bare minimum. Ferguson outlines the case for the defence . Not getting into the Brexit debate but I would say that it is partly the “Napoleonic” elements of the EU that some (rightly or wrongly ) have found rebarbative. His legacy is still with us.
    I think Beethoven wrote the piece for the money but I think it is Safe to say that Beethoven was mightily relieved by Napoleon’s defeat . He did not have a good Napoleonic War . He went on to write The Glorious Moment ( a much better piece than W’s V) to mark The Congress Of Vienna - where post Napoleonic Europe was carved up.
    Wasn’t the Victory piece meant to accompany some weird Michael Bentine style animated model of the Battle of Waterloo designed by the immortal Maazel?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Wasn’t the Victory piece meant to accompany some weird Michael Bentine style animated model of the Battle of Waterloo designed by the immortal Maazel?
      I think Maazel was the one who conducted it. I have his VPO recording, coupled with the 1812 Overture, which I think is a vastly superior work, despite all its detractors.

Johann Nepomuk Maelzel was the inventor of the panharmonicon.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Though I don't think much of the piece, I do have an entertaining HIP version of it coupled with other Janissary music of the period. Recorded on some very fruity wind instruments by Octophoros on Accent.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Though I don't think much of the piece, I do have an entertaining HIP version of it coupled with other Janissary music of the period. Recorded on some very fruity wind instruments by Octophoros on Accent.
          I'd very much like to hear this on an original/copy of Maelzel's invention.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            A recording by the same forces, possibly even the same recording, used to turn up on TtN quite frequently.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I think Maazel was the one who conducted it. I have his VPO recording, coupled with the 1812 Overture, which I think is a vastly superior work, despite all its detractors.

Ta . that’s what I was groping for - it was a musical instrument not a model battlefield . Yes 1812 overture overplayed but a masterpiece …

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I wonder if the Portsmouth Sinfonia ever performed it - I think that would have gone down well with me.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

You've just increased by 100% the number of people of whom I've heard whose middle name is Nepomuk - thank you!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    You've just increased by 100% the number of people of whom I've heard whose middle name is Nepomuk - thank you!
                    I thought everyone knew of the composer Johann Nepomuk David!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      St John of Nepomuk was a 14thc martyr so Nepomuk became a regular second name if your son was baptised John/Johann, a bit like John Baptist, John Evangelist &c. At a quick trawl:

Johann Nepomuk Passini
                      Johann Nepomuk Hiedler
                      Johann Nepomuk Strixner
                      Johann Nepomuk de la Croce
                      Johann Nepomuk Czermak
                      Johann Nepomuk Rust
                      Johann Nepomuk Mayrhofer
                      Johann Nepomuk Schaller
                      Johann Nepomuk Schödlberger
                      Johann Nepomuk Vogl
                      Johann Nepomuk Bayer
                      Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser
                      Prince Johann Nepomuk Karl of Liechtenstein

Not all were famous. I've missed out Hummel on the expectation that he was the one you'd heard of
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
                        • Aug 2012

There was a tradition of battle-pieces before the Beethoven example, e.g the Battle of Prague by Koczwara (1788 but describing the battle of 1757). It's an occasional piece, not aiming to be high art.

As for Napoleon, while I am happy to accept that he did leave an important positive legacy as described in the OP, he achieved this mainly by force. By 1812 the French empire dominated most of Europe and maintained its rule by the use or threat of military power. Hence, Napoleon surely bears considerable responsibility for the millions of lives lost during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars (1792-1815). This is especially so with regard to his short-lived 'comeback' in 1815.

I think that should be remembered as it doesn't seem to figure in the rather one-sided assessment quoted at the start.

Comment

• Jonathan
                          • Mar 2007

There's a rather fun recording on Naxos called "Military Beethoven" which includes Beethoven's own piano transcription of "Wellington's Victory" along with gunfire and explosion sound effects! It's really amusing!
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Let us not forget that the battle commemorated did not involve Napoleon-Bonaparte himself, but only his brother, Joseph.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

'Wellington's Victory' is truly awful! I'm unsure why anyone would wish to hear that noisy potboiler. I guess it is the only work of Beethoven I don't enjoy hearing.

Comment

Working...
                              X