X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bella Kemp
    • Aug 2014

Cecilia McDowall

A name new to me, but have just heard her 'Everyday Wonders' on Essential Classics and was much moved. I see that there is another piece of hers, 'Rain, Steam and Speed' in this afternoon's concert. Has anyone else here encountered her work?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Well known to those learning the flute. Her Six Pastiches have been on the Associated Board exam list.

Her pieces crop up from time to time on Radio 3.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

erm......wAll, I think?

Comment

• Bella Kemp
        • Aug 2014

And I thought I was so clever not confusing my Mcs with my Macs!

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
          Be pleased you are not a Macknowall, Bella.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Her music crops up on Choral Evensong from time to time, most recently I think the Contemporary Church Music one in May from St Pancras.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
              I’m going to quote from a Gramophone review of the recent Hyperion CD of what a sub-editor termed ‘Cecilia McDowell’ anthems.
              Ms Alexandra Coghlan wrote in a general comment about a wide group of composers that includes CMcD:

But is functionality and choral kerb-appeal enough? There’s an increasing homogeneity to the music on offer here, an anonymous quality to works that are attractive, uncontroversial and often all but interchangeable, each using what Andrew Mellor has previously described in these pages as the same ‘toolkit’ of techniques. The gulf between new music in the concert hall and church has never felt wider.”

I’m afraid that’s how I feel about CMcD’s choral music: beautifully formed pieces that are a gentle challenge but a delight to sing. However, they are unquirky, lacking in character, and break no moulds.

Comment

• cat
                • May 2019

Similar has been said about the choral works of Adrian Batten, but not all church music need be novel and quirky to be appropriate for its context.

Comment

Working...
                X