X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

The Sixteen: The Choral Pilgrimage 2021 - The Call of Rome

I attended the concert at Winchester Cathedral last night, the first in The Sixteen's delayed (2020) Choral Pilgrimage: Victoria, Josquin, Allegri and F Anerio were the composers. This building is perfect for their repertoire and style and seats towards the back of the nave provided perfect sound. The programme, without interval, lasted a little over the hour. Performers and audience were moved to be back in a live concert and I was on the edge of tears for most of it.

Harry Christophers has arranged Allegri's Miserere* to reveal its evolution, paring back the accretions of the ages. Each verse sounded slightly new to the ear; the 'standout' soprano's voice soaring up into the heights of the nave.

An unforgettable experience.

They are in Oxford tonight; other dates through to 16 October on their website.

*based on the research of Ben Byram-Wigfield
    [his full essay Allegri's Miserere: A Quest for the Holy Grail? available to download free at www.ancientgroove.co.uk (from the programme notes)]
    Last edited by kernelbogey; 19-06-21, 18:32.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Glad you enjoyed it kb! Great that live music is back. We will try to get to either Exeter or Truro in the Autumn.

If anyone wants to hear a very different 'realisation' of the Allegri, may I recommend Ensemble William Byrd's CD named 'Miserere'? Not available new any more, I think, but here on eBay and no doubt elsewhere: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294157599...BoCAGcQAvD_BwE

Some of the abbellimenti and resulting dissonances are quite startling.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

The Sixteen have shared a 45min "The Call of Rome" video on YouTube.
      Designed to be watched as an accompaniment to The Choral Pilgrimage 2021 or enjoyed in its own right, this 45 minute film takes an in-depth look at three of ...

The Call of Rome
      Designed to be watched as an accompaniment to The Choral Pilgrimage 2021 or enjoyed in its own right, this 45 minute film takes an in-depth look at three of the pieces in this year’s Choral Pilgrimage programme. Complete with full length performances as well as musical excerpts and explanation, Harry Christophers and The Sixteen set the historical and cultural context of the works.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Yes, saw that and also saw them live at Exeter Cathedral. Extremely accomplished and polished singing.

Whilst Stile Antico and Voces 8 could hardly be bettered for what they are (OVPP) I do like the sound of a bigger chamber choir.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I wonder if they going to make a cd of this? I have their recording of the Allegri. Most illuminating.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            I wonder if they going to make a cd of this? I have their recording of the Allegri. Most illuminating.
            Yes they have.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Sounds good, must watch the film. I heard one of the first performances of their new version of the Allegri Miserere in Durham Cathedral a few years back - superb. The Call of Rome CD is available directly from The Sixteen's own label here: https://thesixteenshop.com/products/the-call-of-rome

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

My only slight disagreement with Harry Christophers is that, speaking live before the concert, he said the top C in the Allegri is a 'pure fake'. Well, for a start we don't know what the abbellimenti used at the Sistine Chapel were, so you can't rule out a top C. You could in fact go up to a top F by extending the motif (I've tried it...at least my daughter has...and it works) and nobody could say "It hasn't been done". Also, in a time when 16th century music was not widely sung, Ivor Atkins produced the version most of us grew up with (in English and sung by King's and using the 'wrong' plainsong). It has been and is still such a 'hit', drawing in people who generally don't listen to classical church music, it is a shame to denigrate his version.

That is not to say the Sixteen's version (which includes one verse with a top C) is not fabulous, and wonderfully sung.

Comment

Working...
                X