X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Edinburgh Festival 2021

The Times has an interesting article (today?) about the Edinburgh Festival this year. I don't think I can post a link, but anyone interested might be able to find it.

The Festival will include a concert with Valery Gergiev and a performance of Ariadne auf Naxos. I'll look out for more details.

There are also other considerations in the article - such as the carbon footprint of a festival which flies in a large orchestra or company just for one performance, and then flies out again,
    and some clues about how profitable such festivals actually are.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    The Times has an interesting article (today?) about the Edinburgh Festival this year. I don't think I can post a link, but anyone interested might be able to find it.

The Festival will include a concert with Valery Gergiev and a performance of Ariadne auf Naxos. I'll look out for more details.

There are also other considerations in the article - such as the carbon footprint of a festival which flies in a large orchestra or company just for one performance, and then flies out again,
    and some clues about how profitable such festivals actually are.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...aved-l9rdt2x5b ?

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Can only read it if I want a free trial but I don’t wantbthe hassle!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

There was also an extended interview with the festival organiser on In Tune last night.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Can only read it if I want a free trial but I don’t want the hassle!
          Me neither, but it's there for those that are happy to put up with it.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Me neither, but it's there for those that are happy to put up with it.
            It really can be a hassle. We do have legit access to the Times as mrs d wanted it, and it seems that several household members can share the account. The problem for me is that a lot of these things are device dependent - cookies etc. - so whether I can access the Times or indeed any other website often depends on the device I'm using. Then I'm expected to remember "my password" to access websites on any given machine, and in some cases it gets worse than that because of 2nd factor authorisation. One site I have used extensively is IMSLP - which I paid for last year, but mostly I couldn't be bothered to go to the site using my password, but simply waited for the requested downloads to happen. I'm happy to pay for a service which I use, but I don't necessarily want to be bothered with logins etc.

I now have a book with a rather extensive collection of passwords - which are becoming more and more obscene, though I fear I might be running out of imagination - as I get really annoyed at having to reenter or replace passwords which should never have been changed in the first place. Last week I even had an issue with a mobile phone password for Lidl - in a shop I'd not been in before. Something about the connection managed to wipe out the application and/or the password, and that made the Lidl Plus feature totally useless for several days until we returned home and I was able to create yet another password.

I started off with nice "clean" passwords, but I've been so annoyed over the last few years by all the faff etc. (expletive deleted) that I now have a range of ones which are somewhat rude - though most people wouldn't guess what they are. Each site has its own, of course.

I know and appreciate the trouble that some companies go to protect my data, which is fine for banks and a few other organisations, but do all the other websites really need passwords and 2nd factor authorisation? I don't think so.
            They are simply data harvesting for no very good purpose.

Comment

Working...
            X