X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Out of nowhere .....

Last night I imagined a short orchestral section. I "knew" immediately it was Tchikovsky's 2nd symphony. Then I thought I'd check - and I thought it was the last movement.
    It wasn't .... but keep reading.

So then I tried a whole bunch of other Russian composers - Balakirev, Borodin, though I was pretty sure that it wasn't any of those. It wasn't!

This morning it came and hit me - I was right all along.

It's at 28'10"" in this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfAyIL8fb5I

That's about bar 212 in the score of the finale - or letter E here - https://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/u...25A-sym2-4.pdf

I didn't expect it to be notated quite like that - the section is in 2/4 - but it's OK!

That motif reappears several times - and I still like it.
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

If it had an oom-cha accompaniment, I'm sure you would have no trouble recognising it as a ragtime tune.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

This is Out of Nowhere, afaik not composed by Tchaikovsky, but by Duke Ellington:

Original Charlie Parker Quintet-Wor Studios,New York,4/11/1947Miles Davis(trumpet),Charlie Parker(alto sax),Duke Jordan(piano),Tommy Potter(bass),Max Roach(d...

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        This is Out of Nowhere, afaik not composed by Tchaikovsky, but by Duke Ellington:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBrcY6svyWE
        Yes - that was the first thing that sprang to mind upon seeing this thread title.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

The ‘Little Russian’ title has its origin in Ukraine which was Little Russia

Tchaikovsky used folk tunes as did his other Russian contemporaries so there is a fair chance that he borrowed this tune and others for the symphony!

I’ve not checked with my recordings but Balakirev’s Ov on Russian Themes and Russia may have similar and Borodin may have been a borrower - some of Sym 2 is folksy!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Yes - that was the first thing that sprang to mind upon seeing this thread title.
            Well, it is said that great people think alike...

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Well, it is said that great people think alike...

Indeed, but I have to admit to associating the tune more with Charlie Parker than The Duke.

Comment

Working...
              X