• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Conducting competition

Somwhere I heard that the finals (?) of the Donatella Flick conducting competition would be available...on iplayer? Another medium?

Any info will be welcome.
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Sun 23/5 18.30 live stream of final on Medici (register free then view) - so now {I think}
    Last edited by Zucchini; 23-05-21, 20:08.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Thanks Zuchini. Signed in as 'guest' and watching now. First impression, no repertoire especially taxing for a conductor, and the LSO would sound good whoever was on the podium. Maybe the judges go on facial expressions?

Edit: Well I won't do a spoiler by saying who won...but it was obvious who made the best of very standard repertoire. The rank and file must have been bored to death by all the semis and the final!

Far be it from me to advise anyone about competitions (which I have reservations about anyway) but maybe the inclusion of some tricky-to-conduct repertoire would have brought the whole thing alive...for the orchestra as well. I mean Brahms 'Haydn' Variations and Dvorak Slavonic Dances are so much the bread and butter of any orchestral player, no self-respecting conductor would want to do anything radical with them!

However, it's great that the competition managed to happen at all this year with all the difficulties.
      Last edited by ardcarp; 23-05-21, 23:19.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Maybe I'll try to watch - later. How was this done? Was it live in the same space, or with some elements remote, with technology "helping" to make it all work?

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

No remote technology. The final was all done in LSO St Lukes...people actually there, but spaced out a bit. (I'm not sure about the semis, but as the whole competition took place over just 3 days, I guess it was all done the same way.)

It wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped...not awe-inspiring like BBC Young Musician. But don't let that put you off!

Comment

Working...
          X