• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichardB
    Banned
    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    Were you at the creation of Lokale Musik at Darmstadt?
    No, that was in 1982, I was there for the first time in 1984.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
      No, that was in 1982, I was there for the first time in 1984.
      Did you go to that 1984 lecture with Rihm and Alvin Curran and Dalhaus? The one transcribed in the link. I m I find the discussion hard to follow in detail, maybe partly a problem with the transcription and translation algorithm, but it's certainly interesting the way philosophical/mystical ideas were so present in the thinking of musicians of the time. I may be wrong, but I don't think that's the case now.

Comment

• RichardB
        Banned
        • Nov 2021

Did you go to that 1984 lecture with Rihm and Alvin Curran and Dalhaus?
        I don't remember that, so I guess not. Walter Z has always been motivated my mystical ideas. The last time I spoke to him he was enthusing about Ramon Llull. And Rihm is pretty fluent on philosophical thought through the ages. So there are two composers who possibly weren't typical 40 years ago, whether or not they are now.

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

I’ve started to explore Michael Hersch’s The Vanishing Pavilions. I think anyone who appreciates Finnissy would find something of interest there. Be aware of something - the recording which is on streaming platforms is live and a selection from the work, a “suite” He whole thing in the studio, the sound is better and (hence) for me, it’s more satisfactory.

Some info about it here

The Official Website of Composer Michael Hersch. A composer of “uncompromising brilliance” (The Washington Post) whose work has been described by The New York Times as “viscerally gripping and emotionally transformative music ... claustrophobic and exhilarating at once, with moments of sublime beauty nestled inside thickets of dark virtuosity,” Michael Hersch is widely considered among the most gifted composers of his generation.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

I’ve started to explore Michael Hersch’s The Vanishing Pavilions. I think anyone who appreciates Finnissy would find something of interest there. Be aware of something - the recording which is on streaming platforms is live and a selection from the work, a “suite” He whole thing in the studio, the sound is better and (hence) for me, it’s more satisfactory.

Some info about it here

https://www.michaelhersch.com/works/...pavilions.html
            That was a silly thing to have said, on reflection the comparison with Finnissy’s cycles isn’t helpful.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

I chanced across this inspiring programme on the World Service in the early hours (16.8.22).

Outlook: The classical concert pianist - who has only one hand

Nicholas McCarthy was 14 when he had a life-changing musical experience during a piano recital. Despite never having played any instrument before, he decided he wanted to be a concert pianist. But there was an even bigger obstacle to overcome - he only had one hand. His supportive parents bought him a keyboard and incredibly, within a few years, he became good enough to secure a place at a top UK music school. But there was one condition - he had to concentrate on the notoriously challenging scores of the left-hand alone piano repertoire. It would mean giving up the music he loved - composers like Chopin and Beethoven, but could also be the way to carve a career from the piano.

Edit: correcting links
              Last edited by kernelbogey; 17-08-22, 03:43.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                I chanced across this inspiring programme on the World Service in the early hours.

The classical concert pianist - who has only one hand

Nicholas McCarthy was 14 when he had a life-changing musical experience during a piano recital. Despite never having played any instrument before, he decided he wanted to be a concert pianist. But there was an even bigger obstacle to overcome - he only had one hand. His supportive parents bought him a keyboard and incredibly, within a few years, he became good enough to secure a place at a top UK music school. But there was one condition - he had to concentrate on the notoriously challenging scores of the left-hand alone piano repertoire. It would mean giving up the music he loved - composers like Chopin and Beethoven, but could also be the way to carve a career from the piano.
                I remember reading about him some years back - it appears it was in 2012, the year he graduated from the RCM, aged 22, and that received quite a bit of coverage. Some YouTube videos available. Unlike Paul Wittgenstein, or Cyril Smith (the one that performed with Phyllis Sellick!), he is all the more remarkable for not having already been a considerable pianist before losing the use of his hand. So as a boy he was setting out from the beginning to achieve the seemingly impossible.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  I remember reading about him some years back - it appears it was in 2012, the year he graduated from the RCM, aged 22, and that received quite a bit of coverage. Some YouTube videos available. Unlike Paul Wittgenstein, or Cyril Smith (the one that performed with Phyllis Sellick!), he is all the more remarkable for not having already been a considerable pianist before losing the use of his hand. So as a boy he was setting out from the beginning to achieve the seemingly impossible.
                  In fact he was born without a right hand - though he has a protuberance on the wrist with which he can play one note. He has astonishingly supportive parents, who never said (he claims) 'you can't...' - in contrast to some in the musical educational world. He eventually got into the RCM.

I was aware of two or three of the most well-known concertos for left hand only; but he mentioned a considerable figure (which I don't remember) of LH concerti, and IIRC c3,500 other works for LH only piano.

The interview is with Jo Fidgen, one of the regular presenters of Outlook, and a very skilled and empathic interviewer.

Strongly recommended.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

In fact he was born without a right hand
                    Yes, I didn't quite express myself properly: I meant the other two mentioned were already 'considerable pianists' as adults before they were afflicted (one lost the use of his hand, the other lost an arm). But they already possessed the musical knowledge on top of the performing ability so they were several rungs up the ladder before being forced to adapt to their new situation. Nicholas McCarthy had to start as a child without the advantage the rudiments of musical performance as a basis, which makes his eventual achievements seem so remarkable, at least to me.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

In fact he was born without a right hand - though he has a protuberance on the wrist with which he can play one note. He has astonishingly supportive parents, who never said (he claims) 'you can't...' - in contrast to some in the musical educational world. He eventually got into the RCM.

This reminds me of a girl I was at school with. She was born without a left hand, and played the French horn, but had a right-handed instrument, which she continued to play at music college, and subsequently played professionally in a European orchestra.

That was the easy bit, but she also played the piano, in the manner that KB describes above, but using the left hand to play a simple bass line to support the fully versatile right hand. She could accompany other instrumentalists quite effectively.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Nicholas McCarthy had to start as a child without the advantage the rudiments of musical performance as a basis, which makes his eventual achievements seem so remarkable, at least to me.
                        And to me....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

I was aware of two or three of the most well-known concertos for left hand only; but he mentioned a considerable figure (which I don't remember) of LH concerti, and IIRC c3,500 other works for LH only piano.

The interview is with Jo Fidgen, one of the regular presenters of Outlook, and a very skilled and empathic interviewer.

Strongly recommended.
                          Here's a list of LH concertante works: certainly more than I might have thought!

Comment

Working...
                          X