• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
    Another Bangor graduate! I was there in the mid-eighties in the Mathias days...
    I remember William Mathias on his first day in the Professor's chair.

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      A complete recording does exist (I know because I have it!) but I'm not sure whether it was ever intended for commercial release.
      It has indeed be released commercially

Comment

• RichardB
        Banned
        • Nov 2021

Originally posted by kea View Post
        English Country Tunes is a piece I value extremely highly, but fundamentally, it's just Stockhausen with some algorithmically altered bits of older music mixed in.
        What a strange thing to say! It might be thought that "originality" is an objective feature of music, that something either is or isn't "original", but surely the situation is more complex than that. For example: some of the material in English Country-Tunes might be traced back to Stockhausen, or to folk-derived modality, but the way these materials are fused into a structure doesn't have such perceptible models. So one's view of the "originality" of the work might depend on which aspects of it one focuses on. The same issue arises in the context of late Feldman. To claim that it represents a "stylistic retreat" or a derivation from 1940s Cage is surely to ignore its most original and distinctive feature, namely the way that it articulates duration and memory.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

A complete recording does exist (I know because I have it!) but I'm not sure whether it was ever intended for commercial release.
          Quite something that there are two commercial recordings of the work, the 'live' one by Mark Knoop and the studio one by Ian Pace.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Regarding the Ian Pace recording of Finnissy's The History of Photograph in Sound, I note that amazon.co.uk give one the choice of paying £45.49 for just a set of lossy mp3s, or just £28.37 for the boxed set of 5 CDs plus those very same mp3s. Such a difficult choice. I, however, paid somewhat more than £30 for the 5 CD boxed set at the City University launch. Still, at least all the profits went to the pianist and composer, rather than Bezos the tax manipulator.
            Last edited by Bryn; 23-02-22, 21:46. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
              but the way these materials are fused into a structure doesn't have such perceptible models. .
              People had done montages before -- Christian Wolff for example. Maybe Finnissy has some new original ideas about how to structure a collage.
              Last edited by Mandryka; 23-02-22, 22:08.

Comment

• RichardB
                Banned
                • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                People had done montages before -- Christian Wolff for example. Maybe Finnissy has some new original ideas about how to structure a collage.
                I didn't mention montage/collage and I wouldn't describe English Country-Tunes as either of those, I was just making a general comment on structural thinking in composition being just as important a terrain for innovation as sound material. Anyway, Michael Finnissy has made it clear that there is no use of preexistent material in EC-T; there are three principal sources of material which appear as it were naked in the last three movements (gestural, modal and occupying the extremes of the keyboard respectively) and which are combined in various more or less complex ways in the first five. He has described his structural approach as having more to do with film than with models in previous music, and this I think is one of the things that makes the shapes his compositions trace out in time so distinctive.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Regarding the Ian Pace recording of Finnissy's The History of Photograph in Sound, I note that amazon.co.uk give one the choice of paying £45.49 for just a set of lossy mp3s, or just £28.37 for the boxed set of 5 CDs plus those very same mp3s. Such a difficult choice. I, however, paid somewhat more than £30 for the 5 CD boxed set at the City University launch. Still, at least all the profits went to the pianist and composer, rather than Bezos the tax manipulator.
                  The Knoop sounds so much better than the Pace - which I’ve never enjoyed because of the sound.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

The Knoop sounds so much better than the Pace - which I’ve never enjoyed because of the sound.
                    So far, I have only listened to the first four sections of Mark Knoop's performance. I, too, prefer the way the sound of the piano is captured. I will have to return to the Pace, which I have not listened to again since purchasing it, in order to make further comparison. The incidental sounds of audience, etc., in the Knoop recording, I do not find too intrusive. I wonder what, if any, patching from rehearsals, it includes. I certainly found what I have heard of it, so far, totally engaging. It's a little unfortunate that there is no pdf accompanying the Bandcamp download but the booklet notes with the Pace I recall being fairly comprehensive. Now, where did I 'file' it?

Comment

• Mandryka
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      So far, I have only listened to the first four sections of Mark Knoop's performance. I, too, prefer the way the sound of the piano is captured. I will have to return to the Pace, which I have not listened to again since purchasing it, in order to make further comparison. The incidental sounds of audience, etc., in the Knoop recording, I do not find too intrusive. I wonder what, if any, patching from rehearsals, it includes. I certainly found what I have heard of it, so far, totally engaging. It's a little unfortunate that there is no pdf accompanying the Bandcamp download but the booklet notes with the Pace I recall being fairly comprehensive. Now, where did I 'file' it?
                      If you’ve got a bad heart I’d be a bit careful with Meubridge Munch. There’s a moment when it moves from very quiet to very loud which certainly made me jump.

What has been a revelation to me is how much fire there is in History of Photography - I mean passionate music - as much as in English Country Tunes.

By the way, I noticed that Knoop has released an accordion recording on bandcamp which looks interesting.
                      Last edited by Mandryka; 24-02-22, 11:14.

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Folklore III and IV - I and II are available on commercial recordings.

Folklore 3 (1994) - Michael Finnissy Jacob Rhodebeck, piano This is part 3 of Michael Finnissy's 80-minute epic, 'Folklore', for solo piano. Utilizing…

Folklore 4 (1994) - Michael Finnissy Jacob Rhodebeck, piano This is part 4 of Michael Finnissy's 80-minute epic, 'Folklore', for solo piano. Utilizing…

Comment

• Mandryka
                          • Feb 2021

Now trying to think about the style differences (if any) between English Country Tunes, History of Photography and Folklore.

Comment

• RichardB
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2021

Now trying to think about the style differences (if any) between English Country Tunes, History of Photography and Folklore.
                            Every piece has its own distinctive features of course, although MF's pre-1980s music such as EC-T generally tends to have more extreme contrasts within a shorter timeframe (something like Song 9 being an extreme example), to be less concentrated into restricted registers, and to be less obviously alluding to other musics.

Comment

• Mandryka
                              • Feb 2021

Indeed that article was my introduction to WZ's music, although at the Darmstadt summer course the following year (1984) I was able to hear some live performances of his work and acquire the aforementioned Lokale Musik recording. I could say something very similar about many articles in the Contact journal, like the Ferneyhough issue in 1980 and, later on, articles on the music of Aldo Clementi, Borah Bergman and others, which sent me off to find ways of hearing the music I had read about (not very easy in those days compared to now!).
                              Were you at the creation of Lokale Musik at Darmstadt? I ask because I just found this description of the event from Deborah Richards, one of the performers

We musicians were standing around outside the school gymnasium in Darmstadt, most of us waiting to perform the intricate, ephemeral ensemble pieces that comprise Walter's extensive cycle LOKALE MUSIK. The audience had been amazingly hostile during my part in it, but I now infiltrated them because I wanted to hear the other pieces. From within the audience some French dudes started throwing paper airplanes and being generally rowdy. They thought they knew what was politically “correct” and they were behaving as if this were nazi music (without in fact even bothering to listen to it!). Backstage Walter had remained cheerful and supportive throughout, even joking about the situation. But in my row inside the hall Wolfgang Rihm and Helmut Lachenmann now began to make warning gestures toward the young Frenchmen, hoping to silence them or at least to prevent them from throwing their paper planes. When Helmut took off his shoe and began waving it in a threatening manner, it looked like as if we were heading toward a brawl ... What would have happened if Wolfgang hadn't so quickly succeeded in restraining Helmut and calming him down? And if he hadn't been waving his shoe around would those jerks ever have stopped? How could the musicians concentrate through all this hullaballoo and did Walter know what was happening out here? Although this may well have been the most undignified performance to date, after listening to the rest of the concert, I was quite proud to have taken part in LOKALE MUSIK - both on stage und off!

Comment

• Mandryka
                                • Feb 2021

Radulescu sonata 4 -- Pavlos Antoniadis at the keyboard

The best performance of a Radulescu sonata that I've ever heard

Comment

Working...
                                X