X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
    Ok, I’ll bite: please explain 5/5: just what is the note value of which you’re counting 5 in a bar.
    It wold have to be a dotted crotchet, surely? But I know of no such time signature.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
      Ok, I’ll bite: please explain 5/5: just what is the note value of which you’re counting 5 in a bar.
      It would be five fifths-of-a-semibreve. So it would have the same duration as a 4/4 bar, except you'd count it as quintuplets.

Some composers like Ferneyhough have made use of such 'irrational' time signatures.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

A composer/arranger generally wants his/her music to be performed as widely as possible, which means it makes sense to make the notation to be as simple to read as possible.
        My pet hate is vocal music that don't used instrumental beaming, replacing it with groupings that follow word syllables. It makes accurate reading of rhythms more difficult for singers. Fortunately, most publishers have abandoned this practice.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          What makes it 8/8? Presumably the same would be true of 3+2+3 or 3+3+2 bars.
          Amazing, Holmes! And the 3+2+3 etc. may be specified by the composer to make it clearer where necessary.

It isn't a question of being trapped by convention but of using a language (music notation) in such a way as to communicate in a clear and comprehensible way to the intended recipients. If I decide to use the word "walnut" to mean "teacup" you're going to be wondering why.

Comment

Working...
          X