X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Regarding the Robert Saxton: as has happened with other CDs, when I inserted it into the 'tower' (or whatever it's called) of my PC, a different cover image popped up - I'm assuming it's the one on the original release, one of those EMI Classics on which the list of contents irritatingly blocks out part of the cover image. The EMI Angel CD is presumably the re-release - or is it t'other way round?
    I shall give the Schoenberg Fantasia a listen. I really enjoy Schoenberg's 'reductions' of Strauss waltzes, and can listen to all of Verklaerte Nacht without suffering a violent reaction of the sort that the Siegfried Idyll invariably triggers.
    Probably t’other way round - I think that some early EMI CDs came out under the Angel logo but I may be making assumptions. I think the old HMV logo with the intently listening Nipper had already gone to a certain record store chain but the American ‘Angel’ was used internationally.

What is your aversion to Siegfried Idyll?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      I'm still waiting for the penny to drop with Janacek and I'm not sure that Pierrot Lunaire will ever open up to me
      Pierrot Lunaire, yes, I agree with you there - but Janáček's piano music? On an Overgrown Path, In the Mists?

Leoš Janáček - On An Overgrown Path (Po zarostlém chodníčku) (1900-1911)Performed by Rudolf FirkušnýSeries One: Naše večery (Our Evenings) - 0:00Lístek odvan...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        I was going to say I'm not musically trained either,.
        A-ha!

Comment

• Mandryka
          • Feb 2021

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but I firmly believe that it will help me to keep going, especially where music is concerned!
          What do you think of this? (Just happen to be enjoying it this morning.)

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

- Boulez and Birtwistle for example - :
            I'll just mention some Birtwistle which I thought was lovely, his songs! They were one of my most enjoyable discoveries last year. The 9 settings of Nerine Niedecker -- there a recording of it by Alice Rossi, and I like her voice. And Bogenstrich, inspired by Rilke’s Liebes Lied, including two settings of the same poem and quite a variety of instrumental pieces for cello and piano in between - has a seriousness which makes me think of Brahms. Roderick Williams has recorded it with Adrian Brendel on his cello, even the poem is beautiful

As far as Boulez is concerned, I love Pli selon Pli -- but probably not in any commercial releases. There was a concert with Matthias Pinscher conducting in 2015 which turned me on to it, I can let you have a recording if you send me a private message.
            Last edited by Mandryka; 19-04-21, 10:40.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Probably t’other way round - I think that some early EMI CDs came out under the Angel logo but I may be making assumptions. I think the old HMV logo with the intently listening Nipper had already gone to a certain record store chain but the American ‘Angel’ was used internationally.

What is your aversion to Siegfried Idyll?
              I'm afraid that, to my admittedly untrained ear, it's one of those pieces that seems to go on and on without actually going anywhere - I DO like to feel that I've been on a journey when a piece concludes. Bewildering and irrational as that may sound, I have a friend who feels exactly the same way about The Lark Ascending.
              Let's face it - everybody's weird to a greater or lesser degree!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I'm afraid that, to my admittedly untrained ear, it's one of those pieces that seems to go on and on without actually going anywhere - I DO like to feel that I've been on a journey when a piece concludes. Bewildering and irrational as that may sound, I have a friend who feels exactly the same way about The Lark Ascending.
                They way I would put it consists in The Lark Ascending being more in-the-moment, non-goal orientated, present-centred consciousness-based in conception than Siegfrieds Idyll, which had definite intentions involved!

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  They way I would put it consists in The Lark Ascending being more in-the-moment, non-goal orientated, present-centred consciousness-based in conception than Siegfrieds Idyll, which had definite intentions involved!
                  All I know is that one is a lot higher - in more ways than one - by the end of the Lark whereas the Idyll leaves you still stuck at the bottom of the stairs.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I definitely resemble that remark. Then I like both Siegfried Idyll and Lark Ascending, the former by Solti in the scaled down chamber forces version. Mind you, and don’t let on to anyone else on the forum I also like Copland’s Rodeo.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

I definitely resemble that remark. Then I like both Siegfried Idyll and Lark Ascending, the former by Solti in the scaled down chamber forces version. Mind you, and don’t let on to anyone else on the forum I also like Copland’s Rodeo.
                      Your secret is safe with me

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Bucking the trend there pardner?

Comment

Working...
                        X