X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Feb 2021

The British «avant garde»

I’ve been listening this Good Friday morning to a bootleg of a performance of a piece by Christopher Fox, it’s called Comme Ses Paroles, if anyone wants it let me know. It is a setting of, among other things, love poems from Machaut’s Le Voir Dit. A friend of mine once said that Machaut’s music is like music from Mars - she meant it as a complement. I think Christopher Fox’s setting is a bit Martian, magically so, alien somehow and yet really intriguing and expressive - I’m very much enjoying it.

My listening recently has included a lot of British composers, or at least composers who work out of Britain (I said that to include Cassandra Miller!)

So, given that this forum is Radio 3, the and there’s nothing more British than The Third Programme, and given that both Boris and Keir seem to be into flag waving if not the avant garde, I thought I’d start a place to talk about interesting things happening at the cutting edge in Blighty.
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

I've unsuccessfully searched for Comme Ses Paroles, but in the process chanced upon this which I'm enjoying:

beautiful piece for 6 violins, 2 violas, 2 'celli and double bass, performed here by the Goldberg Ensemble

Comment

• Mandryka
      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      I've unsuccessfully searched for Comme Ses Paroles, but in the process chanced upon this which I'm enjoying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHCndMAqbM
      Not managed to get into that one -- what do you make of this?

Some information here -- clearly she's inspired by Oliveros, but I'm not sure Olveros's meditations were meant to be heard by an audience. Unfortunately I can't find the T Rex song which inspired the one above.

2017 (8.5 min) Soprano & Tape created by Juliet Fraser and Cassandra Miller
      Last edited by Mandryka; 03-04-21, 14:59.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        Not managed to get into that one -- what do you make of this?
        It's nice, thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X