X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

"Proms Are Not Just About Classical Music"

This headline caused a kerflufle in another group that I post in. Apparently the current Proms Promotions are attempting to deemphasize Classical Music. It was my understanding as a Provincial here from over the Pond that like when Henry Wood created the event, that was sort of the music that he meant to feature? Surprised not to see it get a mention on this site
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    This headline caused a kerflufle in another group that I post in. Apparently the current Proms Promotions are attempting to deemphasize Classical Music. It was my understanding as a Provincial here from over the Pond that like when Henry Wood created the event, that was sort of the music that he meant to feature? Surprised not to see it get a mention on this site

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

"Gradually raising the standard until I have created a public ready for modern and classical music" - Robert Newman, Proms co-founder.

Back to the egg stage, then.

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I believe this refers to a video that was published on the BBC Proms twitter feed:

Its not intended to promote the Proms per se, but rather to advertise jobs in the Proms Live Events and Communications team. However, it does emphasise that the proms is "not all just about classical music like Mozart and Beethoven", but features "House, Ibiza music, Sci Fi film music and breakdancing music". It also suggests that successful applicants will be able to dress up as astronauts and jump around on the stage of the Albert Hall.

It does seem like an odd message to send out in relation to the proms, but I suppose they are trying to widen their recruitment pool to include people without a background in classical music.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          successful applicants will be able to dress up as astronauts and jump around on the stage of the Albert Hall
          Where do I sign up?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            Where do I sign up?
            Here ?

The Official Website for The Flaming Lips. Music, Videos, Tour, Merch and more.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Isn’t this all the very living definition of a storm in a teacup ?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

I love this from the BBC history of the Proms :

“Eating, drinking and smoking were permissible (though patrons were asked to refrain from striking matches during the vocal numbers). The more 'serious' items were confined to the first half, and a major attraction of the shorter second half was the orchestral Grand Fantasia - choice morsels extracted from popular operas.”

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  Where do I sign up?
                  !!!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

I might be tempted if they were offering gorilla costumes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                      I might be tempted if they were offering gorilla costumes.
                      Is the theme music to "King Kong" on this year's Prom agenda, then?

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Is the theme music to "King Kong" on this year's Prom agenda, then?
                        Max Steiner - a bit too classy for Proms 2021 style, perhaps...

Comment

• Darkbloom
                          • Feb 2015

The people who complain most about the vulgarisation of the Proms are usually the ones that have never been and never intend to go anyway. It's just a cultural artefact they enjoy whinging over. It's always been a bit scruffy and unkempt, that's why people from abroad usually find it so beguiling, if also perplexing.

There's always a large chunk of any season that doesn't interest me, whether it's classical or not. Also, these alternative programmes are very often late-night Proms that don't interfere with more traditional fare.

Comment

Working...
                          X