Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

William Byrd: Though Amaryllis Dance. Especially when singing it one to a part and nobody puts a foot wrong!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Exactly. And one could say the same about music: if it were really capable of reliably affecting people's emotions in a controllable way it would long ago have been used successfully as a means of social control, which thankfully doesn't really work. Or does it???
      You must have heard of Radio 2, or FM Radio ?!

Jayne refers to an emotional place that is unusually extreme. Most of us, most of the time aren’t in those places, thankfully..But when we are,I suspect that the usual “ rules “ don’t apply. A kind of “ difficult cases make bad law “ situation.
      Last edited by teamsaint; 11-03-21, 20:05.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Yes I must admit some of those choices do rather stretch a useful description: the same could be said of the Lili Boulanger - but all the music produces a feeling of welcoming warmth in some way, to me, that makes me feel better for having listened to it, whether it concludes in an extrovert manner or not.
        I would add Grisey's Quatre Chants pour Franchir le Seui as another odd work to appear on your list, S_A - but there you have it.

I'd add Messiaen's Turangalila Symphonie, to my aforementioned Beethoven, specifically 'Joy of the Blood of the Stars'.

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Bach: Suites for Orchestra
          Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
          Bellini: Oboe Concerto
          Britten: Matinées Musicales
          Glinka: Magic Dances from Russlan & Ludmilla
          Vivaldi: pretty much any concerto...but particularly those from La Cetra

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            You must have heard of Radio 2, or FM Radio ?!

Jayne refers to an emotional place that is unusually extreme. Most of us, most of the time aren’t in those places, thankfully..But when we are,I suspect that the usual “ rules “ don’t apply. A kind of “ difficult cases make bad law “ situation.
            Not sure what the "usual rules" might be, but do they apply to The Difficult Case of The Year of the Great Pandemic...?

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I'll add Janacek's Glagolitic Mass and Sinfonietta to my list.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Not sure what the "usual rules" might be, but do they apply to The Difficult Case of The Year of the Great Pandemic...?
                The “ usual rules” of how we , individually respond. As you said, you respond differently, to how you usually tend to , when you are in those emotional places. Unless I misunderstood .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

On the variability of responses, one of my long-standing cheer-up works is the 6th Bach Cello Suite. When I was living above a bookshop in Finsbury Park, one of those running the shop used to refer to the work concerned as "that bloody funeral dirge you keep listening to". I have never been able to identify with such a reaction to it. I should, perhaps, add that the recordings I most often listened to were of performances using a 5-string violoncello piccolo.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    The “ usual rules” of how we , individually respond. As you said, you respond differently, to how you usually tend to , when you are in those emotional places. Unless I misunderstood .
                    I simply don't feel I have any "usual" responses to music now, generally or specifically.... often I'm surprised how unpredictable it can be. (A coupla weeks ago I'd never have imagined I'd become as Simpson-obsessed again as I am now).

I suspect many here would have had the experience of playing something in the hope of a certain emotive response or benefit - and just not getting that at all. A wildly demonic and impassioned piece might chase the gloom away better than a pastoral serenade for strings; catharsis might work better than anaesthetic (as some posts here seem to indicate). A very complex abstract work may "occupy the mind most wonderfully"...

Human Beings appear to be technically or intellectually very clever animals, who are not always very good at knowing what lies beneath; or keen to peer down there. But those hidden forces often run the show.
                    The many Covid-Lockdown articles and comments in papers and magazines (including many from children and adolescents) have been fascinating in this respect; probably most revelatory of all to the writers and people involved. Now they've taken the Red Pill, they can't go back to the usual rules...or can they? I guess many will try...
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-03-21, 16:57.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

What would make me feel good is music played live in the same room as me.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

I get that fulfilment from my HiFi...its that Living Presence....

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          I get that fulfilment from my HiFi...its that Living Presence....
                          Well it isn't the same really, because it doesn't have the dimension of sociality and sharing. Maybe that isn't important to some people, which is fair enough, but if like me you're used to going to upwards of 50 concerts a year and participating in quite a few of them, reducing that to zero is bound to induce some sort of withdrawal.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Well it isn't the same really, because it doesn't have the dimension of sociality and sharing. Maybe that isn't important to some people, which is fair enough, but if like me you're used to going to upwards of 50 concerts a year and participating in quite a few of them, reducing that to zero is bound to induce some sort of withdrawal.
                            I think when I play music "ambiently" - say, plainchant "drifting through the house" it is at least partly for the human presence of the voices, when the silence gets too loud. But when (as tonight) a high wind sings through the trees, that is often enough on its own.

So, two more adumbrations of "feelgood"...

Comment

• Edgy 2
                              • Jan 2019

Now, if Khatia Buniatishvili were to pop round to my house and play some Alkan on my little Yamaha digi piano in my living room
                              That would make me feel quite good
                              “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Just saw this thread for the first time, and the first piece to pop into my head is the orchestral version of

John Foulds: April-England
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X