X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    As mentioned in my #2, 'Kapellmeister' seems to have been misunderstood in the English speaking world to mean 'second rate'. The term more correctly refers to those, mostly German/Austrian conductors who worked their way through the opera houses. This rules out those mentioned in Cloughie's #5 with the term also being misunderstood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapell...emporary_usage
    funny how the world changes . Didn’t Mozart spend years angling for a Kapellmeister job and feel mightily insulted when he didn’t get it?

On the notion of Kapellmeistermusik I seem to remember one criticism of Leonard Bernstein was that he wrote “conductor’s music” I could never quite work out what that meant - over fussy orchestration, in jokes , academic working out of thin thematic material ? It was never apparent to me ...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      funny how the world changes . Didn’t Mozart spend years angling for a Kapellmeister job and feel mightily insulted when he didn’t get it?

On the notion of Kapellmeistermusik I seem to remember one criticism of Leonard Bernstein was that he wrote “conductor’s music” I could never quite work out what that meant - over fussy orchestration, in jokes , academic working out of thin thematic material ? It was never apparent to me ...
      Yes, something like that..... which neither Bernstein's music, or Mahler 7 (v) is at all, so......

Not so sure about Furtwangler (3 Symphonies, the last unfinished) or Klemperer (6 Symphonies, 4 unpublished) as composers though... but that's another story...
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-03-21, 19:48.

Comment

Working...
      X