X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

International Women's Day 2021

Twenty-four hours of broadcasting of programmes highlighting women composers

Clemmie and Emma Barnett - Classical Fix

Clemmie Burton-Hill returns to Classical Fix for a special one-off International Women’s Day episode - her first time hosting since a serious brain injury in early 2020. Clemmie regularly champions female composers whose music deserves to be better known and in this special edition, she mixes a playlist of all women composers from across the centuries, including new music being written today. Her guest is the broadcaster and new presenter of Woman’s Hour Emma Barnett. In January, Clemmie talked to Emma about her injury and her continuing recovery, including the powerful role music has played.

Emma's playlist:

Maria Szymanowska: Nocturne in A-Flat Major 'La Murmure'
    Anna Meredith: Moonmoons
    Margaret Bonds/Langston Hughes: Dream Variation (from Three Dream Portraits)
    Lera Auerbach: 24 Preludes for violin and piano op.46 (no.8)
    Florence Price: Nimble Feet (from Dances in the Canebrakes)

This was fascinating for the music, the discussion between Clemmie and her friend Emma: and for the remarkable experience of hearing Clemmie a year on from her terrible brain trauma.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I hope there will be comments on other broadcasts on International Women's Day, when the whole output is of music by women composers....?

Comment

• Historian
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I hope there will be comments on other broadcasts on International Women's Day, when the whole output is of music by women composers....?
      Lots of music and names which are new to me. Haven't had much opportunity to focus much yet but enjoyed Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto. The real challenge will be to follow up on some of the names/works and listen to them again. There does seem to be more music from women composers on Radio Three recently. Looking forward to Ruth Gipps as COTW.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Featuring Ruth Gipps as COTW is a good start, for which I have started a thread.

Edit: I now see that Gipps's Symphony No 3 is due for today's Afternoon Concert (2.55pm), and two further works by her, the Chanticleer Overture Op 28, and Second Symphony, on tonight's Radio 3 in Concert, commencing at 7.30pm.

I am very much enjoying listening to her music on COTW right now.
        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 08-03-21, 13:49. Reason: Just saw this!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Lots of music and names which are new to me. Haven't had much opportunity to focus much yet but enjoyed Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto. The real challenge will be to follow up on some of the names/works and listen to them again. There does seem to be more music from women composers on Radio Three recently. Looking forward to Ruth Gipps as COTW.
          Yes I was taken with that - tried finding the complete on Qubuz but there don’t seem to be any of her works on there...

Comment

• Historian
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            Yes I was taken with that - tried finding the complete on Qubuz but there don’t seem to be any of her works on there...
            I know it's not exactly the same experience, but there is a youtube video of a performance from 2010:

Valentina Seferinova plays Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto in D minor at Cadogan Hall, London, 11th November 2010 - Armistice/Remembrance Day Concert. Believ...

The same performers are also available on Lyrita:

British Orchestral Premieres. Lyrita: REAM2139. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Malta Philharmonic Orchestra, Karelia State Philharmonic Orchestra, Orion Symphony Orchestra, Michael Laus, Marius Stravinsky, Toby Purser

There is another version with Danny Driver and the BBC Scottish SO under Rebecca Miller on Hyperion:

The Romantic Piano Concerto 70 - Beach, Chaminade & Howell. Hyperion: CDA68130. Buy CD or download online. Danny Driver (piano) BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Rebecca Miller
            Last edited by Historian; 08-03-21, 13:43. Reason: Added recorded versions.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              I know it's not exactly the same experience, but there is a youtube video of a performance from 2010:

Valentina Seferinova plays Dorothy Howell's Piano Concerto in D minor at Cadogan Hall, London, 11th November 2010 - Armistice/Remembrance Day Concert. Believ...

The same performers are also available on Lyrita:

British Orchestral Premieres. Lyrita: REAM2139. Buy 4 CDs or download online. Malta Philharmonic Orchestra, Karelia State Philharmonic Orchestra, Orion Symphony Orchestra, Michael Laus, Marius Stravinsky, Toby Purser

There is another version with Danny Driver and the BBC Scottish SO under Rebecca Miller on Hyperion:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...aminade-howell
              Thanks -yes I’d logged the YouTube performance for future viewing .I wonder if Howell’s PC might eclipse Amy Beach’s which was on Composer Of The Week earlier this year ...both are on the Driver disk.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Just read this which might also be of interest?
                An online festival featuring songs by a host of known and lesser- known female composers kicked off with a live-streamed concert in which Elaine Hugh-Jones’s music was a particular highlight

Comment

• Historian
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Just read this which might also be of interest?
                  https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-kitty-whately
                  Yes, thank you. Just listened to the (orchestral) Nocturne of Morfydd Owen (one of the composers featured in the concert you brought to our attention) and want to hear more. Like poor Lili Boulanger, dead in her mid twenties.
                  Last edited by Historian; 08-03-21, 18:15. Reason: Correct spelling for Lili Boulanger.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I have just now listened to Ms Howells' piano concerto, but to be honest, could not find anything remotely 1925 about it - 1895, maybe. To my mind only one composer of that time managed to find anything imaginative to say in that style of idiom by that stage, and that was Nicolai Medtner; I think many British critics of the 1950s were right about the number of British early c20 composers aesthetically stuck in the 19th century, though they sometimes reached out with their sweeping brushes and trapped a few unfairly, resulting in reputational dismissal and neglect - Havergal Brian and Frank Bridge being two examples.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....great to hear Barbara Strozzi piece this morn...
                      bong ching

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        I have just now listened to Ms Howells' piano concerto, but to be honest, could not find anything remotely 1925 about it - 1895, maybe. To my mind only one composer of that time managed to find anything imaginative to say in that style of idiom by that stage, and that was Nicolai Medtner; I think many British critics of the 1950s were right about the number of British early c20 composers aesthetically stuck in the 19th century, though they sometimes reached out with their sweeping brushes and trapped a few unfairly, resulting in reputational dismissal and neglect - Havergal Brian and Frank Bridge being two examples.
                        I like the Howells ..... might even make my top 10 PCs

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          I like the Howells ..... might even make my top 10 PCs
                          I'm Old FashionedAlbum:Blue Train (1957)Written by:Jerome KernJohnny MercerPersonnel:John Coltrane tenor saxophone Paul Chambers — double bass Kenny Drew — ...

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Very old fashioned S_A

Comment

Working...
                            X