X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
    Browsing the Presto website recently, I was surprised to notice a disc of Borodin's 2nd Symphony in 2 versions, one conducted by Erich Kleiber and the other by Carlos. Have any forumites heard this and if so, do you rate the performances of either or both Kleibers? It is surprising repertory for Erich and totally unexpected from Carlos!
    Sadly, I see that it is "out of stock at the UK distributor" (Presto). I have no idea whether this is a short- or long-term problem but I will keep my eyes on the situation.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

This one's on my wanted list:

On real CDs.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

My Erich Kleiber CD set arrived this morning. Superb transfers so far, and each CD is in a case with original artwork - even to the extent of reproducing the same rather drab matt card that characterised those early Decca LPs. I never thought I'd grow to like them .

(It goes in the boxset category. Most of my CDs are alphabetical by composer.)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

The Kleiber 15 CD set has proved to be a most satisfying purchase. Although I've admired this conductor for many years, it has been based more upon memory than on recent experience. I've had the Vienna Eroica for 55 years, and heard other recordings around the same time. But sometimes returning records after many years, there can be disappointments. I used to admire Beecham's Mozart, but having bought just about every Mozart/Beecham CD, I'm less enthusiastic now.
          So I approached the Kleiber set with this in mind.
          Starting with Beethoven 9, which I had borrowed from the school record library when I was 15, when it occupied 4 LP sides, it was very much as I remembered it. Quite thrilling, in fact. Small wonder that it was reissued by Decca in 1967 at full price as part of its VPO 125 celebrations.
          Beethoven 5 with the Concertgebouw was also in the school record library, and I remember my teacher raving about it, though at the time I preferred the CSO/Walter, which seemed more gutsy. But now I think I prefer Kleiber (father and son!).
          And talking of his son, Carlos, its interesting that they both made relatively few recordings. Furthermore, Erich recorded Beethoven's 3rd and 6th symphonies twice. The Vienna Eroica is better known than the Concertgebouw one, but the latter is every bit as good, with better sound balance, though being an older recording, it lacks the brightness of what could be achieved five years later.
          However, here we have a question that has been raised before, without a satisfactory explanation. The later Vienna Philharmonic/Decca Eroica has a very bright sound, with the violins sounding unusually prominent. It was like this on the original Ace of Clubs issue, and remains so on digital remasterings. The suggestion has been made that this was an early stereo recording that hadn't really worked, and the right-hand channel had failed at some stage. This is quite plausible, as it sound very like a left-hand only channel in terms of balance. It's known that Decca were experimenting with stereo in 1955. Two months after this recording, they were to record The Marriage of Figaro with Kleiber in stereo, and this is perhaps the gem of the set - Mozart playing of the highest calibre.

I've yet to hear the Tchaikovsky symphonies, or Der Rosenkavalier, but hope to do so within the next few days.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            The Kleiber 15 CD set has proved to be a most satisfying purchase. Although I've admired this conductor for many years, it has been based more upon memory than on recent experience. I've had the Vienna Eroica for 55 years, and heard other recordings around the same time. But sometimes returning records after many years, there can be disappointments. I used to admire Beecham's Mozart, but having bought just about every Mozart/Beecham CD, I'm less enthusiastic now.
            So I approached the Kleiber set with this in mind.
            Starting with Beethoven 9, which I had borrowed from the school record library when I was 15, when it occupied 4 LP sides, it was very much as I remembered it. Quite thrilling, in fact. Small wonder that it was reissued by Decca in 1967 at full price as part of its VPO 125 celebrations.
            Beethoven 5 with the Concertgebouw was also in the school record library, and I remember my teacher raving about it, though at the time I preferred the CSO/Walter, which seemed more gutsy. But now I think I prefer Kleiber (father and son!).
            And talking of his son, Carlos, its interesting that they both made relatively few recordings. Furthermore, Erich recorded Beethoven's 3rd and 6th symphonies twice. The Vienna Eroica is better known than the Concertgebouw one, but the latter is every bit as good, with better sound balance, though being an older recording, it lacks the brightness of what could be achieved five years later.
            However, here we have a question that has been raised before, without a satisfactory explanation. The later Vienna Philharmonic/Decca Eroica has a very bright sound, with the violins sounding unusually prominent. It was like this on the original Ace of Clubs issue, and remains so on digital remasterings. The suggestion has been made that this was an early stereo recording that hadn't really worked, and the right-hand channel had failed at some stage. This is quite plausible, as it sound very like a left-hand only channel in terms of balance. It's known that Decca were experimenting with stereo in 1955. Two months after this recording, they were to record The Marriage of Figaro with Kleiber in stereo, and this is perhaps the gem of the set - Mozart playing of the highest calibre.

I've yet to hear the Tchaikovsky symphonies, or Der Rosenkavalier, but hope to do so within the next few days.
            I much prefer the VPO to the Concertgebouw Eroica - the latter is just too hectic and the Funeral March lacks the intensity of the VPO.

Having bought the Original Masters Erich Kleiber set , having Figaro and Rosenkavalier and the Eloquence set of his early recordings not sure I need this set too .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              I much prefer the VPO to the Concertgebouw Eroica - the latter is just too hectic and the Funeral March lacks the intensity of the VPO.

Having bought the Original Masters Erich Kleiber set , having Figaro and Rosenkavalier and the Eloquence set of his early recordings not sure I need this set too .
              I think you have this set covered by what you already have.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Yes - no surprise that Barbirolli fans are also E Kleiber fans - LXT5358/9 had me hooked! If you like him them you’ve got ‘em all by now!

Comment

Working...
                X