X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Vibrato - indications

I'm sure I've seen markings such as senza vib. in scores, and the corresponding con vib., but are there specific marks which are used to indicate vibrato, and types of vibrato for different instruments?
    Some players might mark up their own parts with various lines to help them to play with or without slow or fast or wide or narrow vibrato in certain passages, but are there any standard markings?
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

I can't think that I've ever seen anything other than Con and Senza Vib and they are quite rare - usually added at the conductor's request rather than by the composer. As to slow, wide etc, conductors often do a vibrato impression to ask for more but that's really the limit. IMHO most players don't really have a wide range of vibrato types - even top soloists!

Quartet players probably do the most subtle variations.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

In Liszt’s PIANO transcription of the Schumann song Widmung there is in the final bars the instruction CON VIBRATO . What does Liszt mean by this ? . I be tried pressing my fingers on the keys and waggling them ostentatiously from side to side like Yehudi Menuhin but no pitch change . Seriously does he mean it to be played with flamboyant over expression ?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        In Liszt’s PIANO transcription of the Schumann song Widmung there is in the final bars the instruction CON VIBRATO . What does Liszt mean by this ? . I be tried pressing my fingers on the keys and waggling them ostentatiously from side to side like Yehudi Menuhin but no pitch change . Seriously does he mean it to be played with flamboyant over expression ?
        Reviving Bebung? Might work...
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

When it came to playing or not playing with vibrato, jazz trumpeter Miles Davis's teacher offered him the following: "You got plenty of time to shake when you get old".

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

From a comment on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwltP3qhDPk :

"vibrato on the piano is the fast changing of the pedal..."

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

I’ve been googling a few piano buff web fora . The feeling is that Liszt means a kind of tremolo which isn’t exactly a tremolo - more of a fast arpeggio . Flutter pedalling doesn’t work if you ask me....

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... as leMartinPêcheur hinted, Liszt obviously wrote this piece for the clavichord

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

In Liszt’s Chapelle de Guillaume Tell, the word is written above a rapid tremolo.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      In Liszt’s Chapelle de Guillaume Tell, the word is written above a rapid tremolo.
                      Yes that’s right - the debate appears to be about the rapidity of the tremolo . Getting into Bach trill territory in places ....

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... perhaps Liszt wasn't thinking of a clavichord after all. It must have been a Geigenwerck -

Comment

Working...
                        X