• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Pizzicato - and bowing?

I found this example from the Rite of Spring

Surely if it's pizzicato there shouldn't be bowing marks, or is it a modification of pizzicato - something using the bow, but which gives a pizzicato like effect?

Is this common?
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

It indicates a sort of strumming effect with the finger moving backwards and forwards across the string as opposed to the traditional plucked pizz where all the strokes are in the same direction. There's a similar effect in the cadenza accompaniment in the Elgar Violin concerto.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Well, you live and learn, thanks Mikea

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
        It indicates a sort of strumming effect with the finger moving backwards and forwards across the string as opposed to the traditional plucked pizz where all the strokes are in the same direction. There's a similar effect in the cadenza accompaniment in the Elgar Violin concerto.
        Didn’t know that - does that create a different tone effect with the nail one side and finger pad the other like a guitar ? Or is the reverse pluck (flick? ) pretty much the same ?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
          Didn’t know that - does that create a different tone effect with the nail one side and finger pad the other like a guitar ? Or is the reverse pluck (flick? ) pretty much the same ?
          I think that with an entire section doing it at speed the timbral difference would be negligible, it's more a question of stress (the "down" pizzicati will be louder and more purposeful), and ease of playing.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I think that with an entire section doing it at speed the timbral difference would be negligible, it's more a question of stress (the "down" pizzicati will be louder and more purposeful), and ease of playing.
            Thanks Richard . So no danger of the ‘banjo’ effect so disliked by Eric Morecambe in his briefing to Andre Previn on the Greig Piano Concerto...?

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

In practice, I tend to use the sides of my finger rather than the pad and nail but I guess that's a personal preference, it's not something that is taught and when it's occurred in the (amateur) orchestras I have played in, there's always a discussion about how to do it. It's harder if you haven't time to put the bow down..........

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

In practice, I tend to use the sides of my finger rather than the pad and nail but I guess that's a personal preference, it's not something that is taught and when it's occurred in the (amateur) orchestras I have played in, there's always a discussion about how to do it. It's harder if you haven't time to put the bow down..........
                Yes, I suppose getting the frog stuck under the strings on the down strum could be a bit of a problem...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Yes, I suppose getting the frog stuck under the strings on the down strum could be a bit of a problem...
                  You would need a lot of pluck!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

In practice, I tend to use the sides of my finger rather than the pad and nail but I guess that's a personal preference, it's not something that is taught
                    I don't know about you, Mike, but in my experience pizzicato isn't given enough attention (often none at all!) by players in their daily practice.

Comment

• mikealdren
                      • Nov 2010

I almost never practise it, only rarely, if there is a difficult passage (like the Elgar)

Comment

Working...
                      X