X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Jayne, he is an example of a celebrity musician, but the point was about the the general nature of the star system, which , for me , he quite clearly is part of. That is not to comment on the quality of his work at all.

Who is downplaying outreach work ? Certainly not me, I was just pointing out that, valuable though his may be, other less exalted musicians do theirs too, with less public endorsement perhaps.
    Doesn’t the concept of a ‘celebrity musician’ go back to Mozart? I suspect it goes back to Josquin . Classical music could do with a few more frankly otherwise extinction beckons through public indifference ...

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      For some, the idea that the star system occasionally alights on someone of genuine worth to the world merits its justification. Freddie Mercury and David Bowie are other examples.
      Their are stars of genuine merit, of course. The issue I think is that too much emphasis is often placed on the quality of the work of the big stars at the expense of other talented artists, who find opportunity constrained where opportunities are limited, and the media devote so much space to a small number of stars, whose work is in any case very easy to access.

I spend a lot of my time trying to find opportunities for good authors, where space is taken up by over emphasis on already well exposed star writers. It is a real block on talent coming through, and on finding readers who would really enjoy their work. That is not to say that the star writers aren't good or deserve the space and recognition,but the system over-emphasises them to the detriment of other very talented writers.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        Doesn’t the concept of a ‘celebrity musician’ go back to Mozart? I suspect it goes back to Josquin . Classical music could do with a few more frankly otherwise extinction beckons through public indifference ...
        I did say in my post #225 when I first mentioned this, that there are upsides as well as downsides in having celebrity musicians.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Their are stars of genuine merit, of course. The issue I think is that too much emphasis is often placed on the quality of the work of the big stars at the expense of other talented artists, who find opportunity constrained where opportunities are limited, and the media devote so much space to a small number of stars, whose work is in any case very easy to access.

I spend a lot of my time trying to find opportunities for good authors, where space is taken up by over emphasis on already well exposed star writers. It is a real block on talent coming through, and on finding readers who would really enjoy their work. That is not to say that the star writers aren't good or deserve the space and recognition,but the system over-emphasises them to the detriment of other very talented writers.
          Each one of such stars can be evaluated in terms of how they epitomise the Zeitgeist, a fancy way of saying they present as emblems of the presiding value culture in personified, nut shelled form in their field. For all the "information" that is out there, it can't be afforded for there to be too many of them about at any given point in time.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Can I just say, for clarity, that I am not knocking Simon Rattle. He is a fine musician, who has done much for the musical world. I saw him conduct not so long ago, and it was a terrific experience.

Just making some general comments on the areas that he inhabits.

Thank you !!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

I read a phenomenal amount of contemporary fiction and I think a lot of ‘star ‘writers are absolutely terrible. Strangely that isn’t true amongst conductors . I can think of a few stars in the conducting world who are overrated but none who can’t do the conducting equivalent of stringing a sentence together , constructing a plot or credible characters! I suspect it’s because being a conductor requires years of training whereas just about anyone can (or thinks they can ) write a book.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Each one of such stars can be evaluated in terms of how they epitomise the Zeitgeist, a fancy way of saying they present as emblems of the presiding value culture in personified, nut shelled form in their field. For all the "information" that is out there, it can't be afforded for there to be too many of them about at any given point in time.
                Well you " Nut shelled" me there , S-A !

But I disagree about space .In my work, no bookshop really needs six piles of " Pinch of Nom", or four face outs of David Walliams latest etc etc.

Three and two might do the trick for them sales wise, , leaving space for somebody else, and perhaps actually increase overall sales for the shop via a more interesting offer.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2020

Wow! I wish I could write posh like that.
                  Back to the matter in hand - BILLY COTTTON - now, he was a REAL bandleader. and would certainly have given Sir Simon a run for his money. (Dons helmet in anticipation of brickbats from Jack Johnson and Ambrose fans - yeah, they were good, but no match for Russ Conway's mate).
                  Did somebody say Henry Hall - do me a favour!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    I read a phenomenal amount of contemporary fiction and I think a lot of ‘star ‘writers are absolutely terrible. Strangely that isn’t true amongst conductors . I can think of a few stars in the conducting world who are overrated but none who can’t do the conducting equivalent of stringing a sentence together , constructing a plot or credible characters! I suspect it’s because being a conductor requires years of training whereas just about anyone can (or thinks they can ) write a book.
                    One current runaway best selling fiction title, which received a 7 figure advance, is said to have spent two years with the editor.
                    Now it could just be that the editor in question is really slow , or extraordinarily diligent of course..........
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 20-01-21, 19:36.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

One current runaway best selling fiction title, which received a 7 figure advance, is said to have spent two years with the editor.
                      Now is could just be that the editor in question is really slow , or extraordinarily diligent of course..........
                      The editors are the unsung heroes of the business. Would that a few more books spent even longer with them and in some cases never emerged. That said there are some hugely talented people around....

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

I spend a lot of my time trying to find opportunities for good authors, where space is taken up by over emphasis on already well exposed star writers. It is a real block on talent coming through, and on finding readers who would really enjoy their work. That is not to say that the star writers aren't good or deserve the space and recognition, but the system over-emphasises them to the detriment of other very talented writers.
                        Absolutely. People get to be "stars" for all kinds of random reasons, as well as good ones (and indeed bad ones, like being unscrupulous in self-promotion).

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          Absolutely. People get to be "stars" for all kinds of random reasons, as well as good ones (and indeed bad ones, like being unscrupulous in self-promotion).

You wouldn't have anybody in particular in mind, would you?

Comment

• LHC
                            • Jan 2011

Its been announced that Mirga will be leaving the CBSO next year, although she will do one more year as a Guest Conductor after she has relinquished her position as MD. As with Rattle, this is being presented as a decision made for personal reasons, but as she lives in Austria, you do wonder if this is another Brexit casualty.
                            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2020

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                              Its been announced that Mirga will be leaving the CBSO next year, although she will do one more year as a Guest Conductor after she has relinquished her position as MD. As with Rattle, this is being presented as a decision made for personal reasons, but as she lives in Austria, you do wonder if this is another Brexit casualty.
                              Amending that pretty dreadful joke about the German sausage manufacturer: 'Divorced we are, the wurst is yet to come'.
                              Can one blame her?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

There is a full page report by Katy Brand in the weekend i headed ‘Our Prime Minister doesn’t know his arts from his elbow’. She goes to say ‘Sir Simon Rattle would be leaving his post at the London Philharmonic Orchestra...’
                                It would appear that Ms Brand does not know her LSO from her LPO. Not only that neither does the i sub editor or maybe these articles are submitted unchecked.

Comment

Working...
                                X