Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

If the original contract was to 2020 and there has been an extension to 2023 how is that bailing? Or has the situation now changed?

Comment

• Bert
      Banned
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      A 16-year-old Daily Mail Gossip column? Seriously?
      Seems to have nailed it though

The Holy Bible might be even more necessary than I thought....
      I respect your right to use the Bible for guidance, I was only asking that you keep it to yourself. If you now think you need your Bible more than ever, that is entirely a matter for you

Comment

• Bert
        Banned
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Indeed - so doubly so, then! Were you not taughtology when you were at school?(!)...

Ologies were beyond me at school! (except perhaps sociology)

Comment

• Simon B
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          If the original contract was to 2020 and there has been an extension to 2023 how is that bailing?
          I know, I know, when in hole stop digging...

There was an (unstated) implication that he was in it for the long term when it started.

Contracts are funny things in this context - though obviously not in a literal legal sense. When IIRC both Nelsons and V Petrenko were moved from fixed to ongoing (rolling) contracts at CBSO and RLPO, it basically signalled that the end was imminent. So the exact opposite of what they nominally imply...

To put it another way, in current circumstances would it be better for the survival prospects of the institution that:

a) Rattle hadn't signalled an intention to leave the role, not that long after there's at least some prospect of a return to "normal";
          or
          b) Time has been called, as it has.
          Last edited by Simon B; 11-01-21, 19:32.

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

I would imagine that the lack of progress on the new hall since he arrived will have led him to feel a little shortchanged, to put it mildly. I imagine also that the Barbican and the LSO have been shoring up all the goodwill they have with him while cursing the government, again to put it mildly.

Comment

• Bert
              Banned
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Should have had confidence in my man: Norman has the latest.

(He even updated it again while I was posting)
              Let's hope Rattle learns German this time. So embarrassing how many Brits don't learn the local language .....

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

I wonder where BBC reporters get their information from. According to the BBC, Rattle has an appointment with the Vienna Philharmonic as well:

He lives in Berlin with his third wife, the Czech-born singer Magdalena Kozena, and their three children, and is also the permanent guest conductor of the Vienna Philharmonic in neighbouring Austria.
                The musician's departure is considered a blow for Britain's classical music scene.

I imagine this will come as news to both Sir Simon and the VPO.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  I wonder where BBC reporters get their information from. According to the BBC, Rattle has an appointment with the Vienna Philharmonic as well:

I imagine this will come as news to both Sir Simon and the VPO.
                  As far as I’m aware, no such post exists.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Norman on the job promptly

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2020

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Indeed - so doubly so, then! Were you not taughtology when you were at school?(!)...
                      Excellent ....

Comment

• Maclintick
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Of course the VPO is famously unique amongst the great orchestras of the world -- excluding excellent chamber-sized outfits such as Orpheus, inter alia -- in not actually requiring the services of a chief conductor or music director, so it would be little odd if such a position as 'permanent guest conductor' existed. Recent collaborations on the VPO's website reveal names such as Mehta, Eschenbach, Bychkov, Nézét Séguin, Muti, Chung, Eötvös, Sokhiev, Barenboim, Dudamel, Metzmacher, Nelsons, Oramo, Blomstedt, Tilson Thomas, Harding, Orozco-Estrada, Payare, Welser-Möst, Thielemann, Altinoglu, Adam Fischer...but nary a mention of Sir Simon...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          It's not often that I agree with Norman.
                          Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 11-01-21, 23:55.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            Let's hope Rattle learns German this time. So embarrassing how many Brits don't learn the local language .....
                            I'm not sure how many different nationalities are represented in the BPO or the BRSO, but I suspect that English might be the lingua franca of choice for both orchestras, especially as many Germans speak better English than many English (or Irish) people.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Agreed. Rattle's German Wiki gives some detail: He alternated between the two languages. He always started rehearsals German but needed to revert to English to get more detailed points across. He often promised he would start speaking German properly "after the summer break".

My wife told me she read somewhere that one of his children commented to him "You're the only person who understands your German."

I wish him good luck with Bavarian German.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

My 2 cents..As a Classical Music Patron from this side of the Pond, it certainly seemed that Rattle was making some extremely long term commitment to the LSO. The Marketing Hype alone was Biblical, with the suggestions of Prodigal Son returning;perhaps the Messiah leading his Orchestra out of the Biblical/Musical Wildnerness (the Auditorium, the Garbage Can, oops, Barbican, and the promise to lead to the Promised Land of a First Rate Hall that was not only going to sound good but revitalize London itself and shake off the Funk of Brexit).
                                So all of that stuff won’t happen, and even with him re upping for another Tour of Duty and the Emeritus Title it all seems like one big undelivered promise.
                                As the character McWatt in Catch-22 would say, Oh Well, What The Hell. Covid has squashed a lot of plans, big and small. We should be thankful we are alive and mourn those who haven’t been so lucky. How many Orchestras are going to survive a shutdown that may go on for two years? The prediction is here that we may only have 10 Orchestras of stature for the whole Country post Covid. The Bavarians have been committed to a new hall and overall excellence in a way that virtually no other Orchestra can match. Throw in the fact that his Family resides in Deutschland and who can blame him?

Comment

Working...
                                X