X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkbloom
    • Feb 2015

Rattle To Leave LSO?

Seit drei Jahren ist Sir Simon Rattle Chefdirigent in London. Wegen Corona und Brexit kommt der bedeutendste britische Dirigent der Gegenwart nicht weiter. Jetzt wird er wohl nach München gehen. Wo er in gleich mehrfacher Hinsicht die Rettung wäre.

According to this he's had enough and is heading to Munich and the BRSO. After all the fanfare of his arrival!
    Last edited by Darkbloom; 10-01-21, 17:10.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
    https://www.welt.de/kultur/article22...-Muenchen.html

According to this he's had enough and is heading to Munich and the BRSO. After all the fanfare of his arrival!
    In a word: BREXIT.

The German press has been full of this speculation for some time and my reading of the piece linked to does not say anything more definite than others have been doing. I'm not sure that Rattle has made the decision and even with both Brexit and Covid it can't be an easy one to make.
    Last edited by Petrushka; 10-01-21, 17:00.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Darkbloom
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      In a word: BREXIT.
      Plus Covid and the lack of progress with the new concert hall. They want a new one in Munich so I guess he wants to be involved with that. The LSO must be demoralised already but this will be a real kick in the teeth.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
          Plus Covid and the lack of progress with the new concert hall. They want a new one in Munich so I guess he wants to be involved with that. The LSO must be demoralised already but this will be a real kick in the teeth.
          The Adamek work to be performed at that Munich concert on March 6, furthermore, is an LSO commission, so that's two kicks in the teeth.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            The Adamek work to be performed at that Munich concert on March 6, furthermore, is an LSO commission, so that's two kicks in the teeth.
            It's a joint commission with Musica Viva which is the contemporary music series given by the BRSO.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              It's a joint commission with Musica Viva which is the contemporary music series given by the BRSO.
              OK thanks for clarifying, Pet.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Thanks for link. They do point to a possible announcement on the 12th. Munich seem keen to clinch the deal. The article mentions that Montreal and Concertgebouw are still searching for successors and that Magdalena Kozená would be a welcome part of the package. I hadn't realised she had stayed resident in Berlin with the three youngest children.

So sad not just to lose Rattle but for it what it might betoken for the post-Brexit cultural scene in the UK.

Comment

• muzzer
                  • Nov 2013

If true, this is awful news. What an indictment of the British cultural establishment that it can’t keep someone whose value you’d think it would recognise above all else. Wtf is wrong with this country.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Thanks for link. They do point to a possible announcement on the 12th. Munich seem keen to clinch the deal. The article mentions that Montreal and Concertgebouw are still searching for successors and that Magdalena Kozená would be a welcome part of the package. I hadn't realised she had stayed resident in Berlin with the three youngest children.

So sad not just to lose Rattle but for it what it might betoken for the post-Brexit cultural scene in the UK.
                    When Rattle joined the LSO, I am sure he said he would still live in Berlin as their children were still at School.

All may not be lost yet. For several years Maris Jansons led both the Concertgebouw and the BRSO at the same time, so if he was so disposed, Rattle could take on the BRSO and still carry on as MD at the LSO.

However, if he does leave it will be a sad indictment of the arts in this Country.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Here's The Times' take on it (Richard Morrison and Jack Malvern):

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Here's The Times' take on it (Richard Morrison and Jack Malvern):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/g...0893080822dd9c
                        It’s a good article. I always thought the City based concert hall was a non-starter. It’s such an expensive place to build. It is such a shame that they didn’t get it right when they built the Barbican but I was told they did it on the cheap - the stage has a hollow over resonant cavity and there’s no choir and organ. I am also not sure Rattle going to Munich is quite the cultural disaster the pundits suggest . Much more problematic is the long standing over - provision of orchestral music in London and the dearth in the South West and East of England .

Comment

• LHC
                          • Jan 2011

The LSO have announced today that Rattle has extended his contract with them until 2023, when he will take over the BRSO in Munich. He will then be appointed Conductor Emeritus for life for the LSO, as was previously done for André Previn.

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

So nothing much has changed. Brexit was going to happen, the concert hall was always going to be a tough one.
                            More opportunity for our brightest and best youngsters ?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              More opportunity for our brightest and best youngsters?
                              Indeed so. (Including everyone under the heading of "our"!)

Comment

Working...
                              X