• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Brexit and the Vienna Phil

The things we have lost on leaving the EU two days ago did not, unfortunately, include the Vienna Phil New Year's Day concert from the musikverein.

Though the venue was audience free (ha-ha...the tickets would have cost 1200 Euros) the endless Waltzes and Marches were broadcast to millions of viewers and listeners, so we are told. The orchestra itself...no distancing...apparently had been having a daily Covid test.

Whilst I am always amazed at the orchestra's ability to do all the rits, pauses and rubatos...not to mention the lopsided triple time...in perfect synchrony (it's in their Wiener Blut I suppose) I absolutely detest this annual ritual. Am I alone???
  • Leinster Lass
    Banned
    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    The things we have lost on leaving the EU two days ago did not, unfortunately, include the Vienna Phil New Year's Day concert from the musikverein.

Though the venue was audience free (ha-ha...the tickets would have cost 1200 Euros) the endless Waltzes and Marches were broadcast to millions of viewers and listeners, so we are told. The orchestra itself...no distancing...apparently had been having a daily Covid test.

Whilst I am always amazed at the orchestra's ability to do all the rits, pauses and rubatos...not to mention the lopsided triple time...in perfect synchrony (it's in their Wiener Blut I suppose) I absolutely detest this annual ritual. Am I alone???
    I wouldn't go so far as to say I detest it, but I haven't watched it for years - that goes for the Last Night Of The Proms as well - but I'm glad lots of people DO watch, and enjoy, such events. Luckily we have a much greater range of material to enjoy these days. There are a few programmes that I REALLY detest, in particular Mrs Br*wn's B*ys!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
      I wouldn't go so far as to say I detest it, but I haven't watched it for years - that goes for the Last Night Of The Proms as well - but I'm glad lots of people DO watch, and enjoy, such events. Luckily we have a much greater range of material to enjoy these days. There are a few programmes that I REALLY detest, in particular Mrs Br*wn's B*ys!
      With you there LL - that is a dreadful programme. Ardcarp - As to the VPO New Year concert - I would describe it as a good, harmless light classical music full of good tunes - Certainly not bait for such harsh criticism you are hurling at it - there are very much worse things I would use the off button for - but musical likes and dislikes are very personal and yours are as valid as any ! You may be in line forcthe first Forum Rant of 2001!

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Most years I've given it a miss after the first couple of numbers but this year it was considerably better both without the audience interruptions, the music chosen and also the presenter who was almost effectively gagged as he was stuck in UK and could only see a TV + maybe had time to recover from the night before.

What hasn't worked for me are the covid proms - they could have been replaced by much more chamber music or dare I suggest organ music - warmed up, apart from a few notable exceptions, they are even less appealing than first time around.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

You're under no compulsion to watch it, presumably your TV has an off switch? Why not find your own particular pleasure on a New Year's morning and indulge in that to your heart's content (as I'm sure you do anyway) instead of worthlessly venting your spleen on something that gives great enjoyment to millions of people worldwide?

Is what you do with your time any more worthy than any other innocent pastime of which you wish to deprive others? Would it make you a happier, more fulfilled person to have it banished from the screens and cancelled forever?

Interesting that you mention Brexit in the header. That too has a wish to destroy rather than improve people's lives and make the world a better place in which to live.

Sad.
          Last edited by Petrushka; 02-01-21, 10:36.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

So it's easy to avoid. I get the feeling(apologies if I'm wrong) that you don't like this repertoire and can't see why the VP plays(wastes its skills on?) it. It is part of a tradition of a country not our own, performed by an orchestra that could, if it chose, not put it on. What struck me this year was how much the players seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves in their musicmaking; it seemed to be anything but a ritual to be got through.
            We can choose whether to listen/watch and, as with music in general, we don't have to like everything that's out there.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

It’s mostly splendid music wondrously performed.

We might dismiss it as light music with plenty of pop and fizz but for me there are deeper qualities of wistfulness, sadness, even melancholy.

Yes there are the recurring popular pieces yet the added fascination of rare, niche repertoire thrown in. Each year brings a different mix, with yesterday’s concoction a particular delight.

It’s an event that hasn’t succumbed to modern trends of gimmickry or celebrity led piffle and I for one welcome a concert that invariably touches my little heart.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                So it's easy to avoid. I get the feeling(apologies if I'm wrong) that you don't like this repertoire and can't see why the VP plays(wastes its skills on?) it. It is part of a tradition of a country not our own, performed by an orchestra that could, if it chose, not put it on. What struck me this year was how much the players seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves in their musicmaking; it seemed to be anything but a ritual to be got through.
                We can choose whether to listen/watch and, as with music in general, we don't have to like everything that's out there.
                Similar arguments can be applied to football, cricket, rugby, tennis etc. Many people seem to like those, and just because there are some who have a very minimal interest or desire to watch those, doesn't necessarily mean that the sports shouldn't happen, or be enjoyed in various forms by those who do appreciate them.

Besides the on/off switch, there are also channel changing features on most TVs these days. or just "why don't you switch off and do something else instead?".

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Whether one does or doesn't positively enjoy or actively dislike an event like this probably says more about oneself than the event. I vaguely remember in the very distant past watching this (and the Last Night), but I know it says something about me that i'm not keen on routines, rituals, same-again-this-year familiarity. It was probably about 30 years ago that I first watched HIGNFY, and enjoyed it. But after the second viewing I decided that it was the same programme again - meaning the essential format, performers, arch expressions, audience reactions. The Archers just had to have the same signature tune, the same characters etc and it soon palled.

To hear things with new ears each year must be a blessing.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Say what one likes about the Vienna New Year's Day concert but its worth remembering that Johann Strauss II, who always features in it, was much admired by composers as diverse as Wagner, Bruckner, Brahms, Mahler, Busoni, Schönberg, Webern and Berg as well as his German namesake Richard Strauss...

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Say what one likes about the Vienna New Year's Day concert but its worth remembering that Johann Strauss II, who always features in it, was much admired by composers as diverse as Wagner, Bruckner, Brahms, Mahler, Busoni, Schönberg, Webern and Berg as well as his German namesake Richard Strauss...
                      How true is that, thanks Alistair!

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Ardie you're certainly not alone in detesting the concert but I won't be joining you.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Whether one does or doesn't positively enjoy or actively dislike an event like this probably says more about oneself than the event. I vaguely remember in the very distant past watching this (and the Last Night), but I know it says something about me that i'm not keen on routines, rituals, same-again-this-year familiarity. It was probably about 30 years ago that I first watched HIGNFY, and enjoyed it. But after the second viewing I decided that it was the same programme again - meaning the essential format, performers, arch expressions, audience reactions. The Archers just had to have the same signature tune, the same characters etc and it soon palled.

To hear things with new ears each year must be a blessing.
                          I wasn’t sure what HIGNFY was but on looking it up I completely agree. My brother has an infuriating habit of watching past editions which are available on Dave or some such digital channel!

Of course the NYD concert is different in being an annual event. That is actually quite a long time between drinks!

I won’t listen again until the CD is issued - 15 Jan - then go a bit obsessive for 2-3 weeks also enjoying a random trawl through past concerts. I have the last 25 or so on CD. Then it’s time to put the Strauss family to bed until the beginning of the following year.

Comment

• silvestrione
                            • Jan 2011

There's something precious about forms of cultural transmission that can't be taught, only learnt (if you see what I mean), and they offer a unique kind of pleasure, IMV.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Stylistically diverse - but even Busoni had an Austro-German(?) mother. Probably that Germanic sentimentality (said briskly and dismissively before running away)

I wouldn't say I detested any of this, though probably because I steer clear of what I 'dislike' (or think I do). If forced to listen I might come to detest things.

None of this denies the admirable/excellent qualities, or the importance of 'cultural value'. But one can admire without enjoying. I think
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X