• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leinster Lass
    Banned
    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Stylistically diverse - but even Busoni had an Austro-German(?) mother. Probably that Germanic sentimentality (said briskly and dismissively before running away)

I wouldn't say I detested any of this, though probably because I steer clear of what I 'dislike' (or think I do). If forced to listen I might come to detest things.

None of this denies the admirable/excellent qualities, or the importance of 'cultural value'.rm: But one can admire without enjoying. I think :e
    I'm sure one can - it's true in my case, where J S Bach is concerned - excellent background when tackling a crossword or playing Scrabble.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I think it's worth seeing this annual event as part of Austria's desire to reinvent itself after WWII. It's a few years since I've been in Vienna, but it seems as though the emphasis there on its Imperial past tends - perhaps intends - to elide the interval between it and the 1950s. (Some argue that Austria presents itself as a victim in WWII.) It's a deeply conservative country - and one for which I have a great affection - and the 'touristy' interval film on the Burgenland anniversary speaks to that agenda.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        It’s mostly splendid music wondrously performed.

We might dismiss it as light music with plenty of pop and fizz but for me there are deeper qualities of wistfulness, sadness, even melancholy.

Yes there are the recurring popular pieces yet the added fascination of rare, niche repertoire thrown in. Each year brings a different mix, with yesterday’s concoction a particular delight.

It’s an event that hasn’t succumbed to modern trends of gimmickry or celebrity led piffle and I for one welcome a concert that invariably touches my little heart.
        That sums up my view exactly, Alison. Unlike french frank I do rather enjoy some routines and rituals, the NYD concert being one of them. I find it somewhat comforting that in a changing world there is a little bit of tradition that doesn't change, or not much anyway, and it was probably more acutely felt this year.

Since B****t was mentioned in the OP I do hope that it doesn't mean we must shun everything that comes from our neighbours across the channel.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
          Banned
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I think it's worth seeing this annual event as part of Austria's desire to reinvent itself after WWII. It's a few years since I've been in Vienna, but it seems as though the emphasis there on its Imperial past tends - perhaps intends - to elide the interval between it and the 1950s. (Some argue that Austria presents itself as a victim in WWII.) It's a deeply conservative country - and one for which I have a great affection - and the 'touristy' interval film on the Burgenland anniversary speaks to that agenda.
          We holidayed in Austria - Vienna, Graz and Salzburg - in September 2019 and our otherwise very forthcoming tour manager went out of her way to avoid mentioning the period between the Anschluss and the departure of the Russians.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            Since B****t was mentioned in the OP I do hope that it doesn't mean we must shun everything that comes from our neighbours across the channel.
            There we are as one! I was just looking up Muti's Wiki article and reminded of how he broke with tradition in 2011 during a pereformance of Nabucco in Rome to turn and make a speech denouncing Berlusconi's budget cuts to the arts. And then encouraged the entire audience to sing Va pensiero. Go, Ricchi!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Stylistically diverse - but even Busoni had an Austro-German(?) mother.
              Indeed, but I'm far from convinced that this was a factor of any significance in terms of his admiration for JS II, any more than the fact that he spent more than half of his life in Germay...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Indeed, but I'm far from convinced that this was a factor of any significance in terms of his admiration for JS II, any more than the fact that he spent more than half of his life in Germay...
                Well, we can't ask him.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Another Austrian, Alfred Brendel, is a huge Busoni fan - as artist and fellow cosmopolitan. There are several essays about him in his book of writings (on my bedside table at the moment). He refers to Busoni's "all-embracing spirit" and quotes Wilhelm Kempff calling him "a kind of musical Leonardo."

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Well, we can't ask him.
                    True, although he would doubtless regret that, what with his interest in H. G. Wells, time travel and the like as outlined in several letters to his wife...

Comment

• Edgy 2
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      The things we have lost on leaving the EU two days ago did not, unfortunately, include the Vienna Phil New Year's Day concert from the musikverein.

Though the venue was audience free (ha-ha...the tickets would have cost 1200 Euros) the endless Waltzes and Marches were broadcast to millions of viewers and listeners, so we are told. The orchestra itself...no distancing...apparently had been having a daily Covid test.

Whilst I am always amazed at the orchestra's ability to do all the rits, pauses and rubatos...not to mention the lopsided triple time...in perfect synchrony (it's in their Wiener Blut I suppose) I absolutely detest this annual ritual. Am I alone???
                      I wouldn't say I detest it.
                      It doesn't appeal to me so I don't watch/listen, a bit like Last Night of the Proms,Radio 3 in the mornings, Mrs B's Bs, Strictly, Cricket, Lieder etc etc etc
                      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Oh dear, I realise I dropped a rather controversial pebble into a hallowed pool! I was posting late in the evening and, as an ardent Remainer, was feeling very cross about all we have lost as citizens of Europe....and it felt ironic at the time not to be losing a programme which I have always dipped into but found rather tedious. 'Detest' was too strong a word, for which I apologise. I do hope the Arts, in spite of everything, continue to flourish on a Europe-wide basis, and in no way would I wish to pour scorn on one of Vienna's treasured traditions. Yes, there is an off-button on my remote, and much use is made of it to limit how much of that treasured tradition seeps into our living room on New Year's Day when we are all feeling a little fragile anyway!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          Oh dear, I realise I dropped a rather controversial pebble into a hallowed pool! I was posting late in the evening and, as an ardent Remainer, was feeling very cross about all we have lost as citizens of Europe....and it felt ironic at the time not to be losing a programme which I have always dipped into but found rather tedious. 'Detest' was too strong a word, for which I apologise. I do hope the Arts, in spite of everything, continue to flourish on a Europe-wide basis, and in no way would I wish to pour scorn on one of Vienna's treasured traditions. Yes, there is an off-button on my remote, and much use is made of it to limit how much of that treasured tradition seeps into our living room on New Year's Day when we are all feeling a little fragile anyway!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I absolutely love the fact that the greatest orchestra on earth plays this New Year concert on my birthday every year. I’ve been listening to it for 56 years now, and I’ve loved every one of them - some more than others of course.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                              I wouldn't say I detest it.
                              It doesn't appeal to me so I don't watch/listen, a bit like Last Night of the Proms,Radio 3 in the mornings, Mrs B's Bs, Strictly, Cricket, Lieder etc etc etc
                              Could go along with all except the last two. I love classical song as a genre whether Lied, mélodie, English song, Czech/Russian pesni. Poetry+piano+human voice is surely a miraculous concoction. Lunchtime recitals are frequently the highlight of a Radio 3 day for me. Tomorrow's live Wigmore session looks especially enticing: "New Generation Artist Ema Nikolovska with pianist Malcolm Martineau, including songs by Schubert, Dvorak, Britten and Lili Boulanger" Fascinatingly also some songs from composers entirely new to me: Vítězslava Kaprálová, Ana Sokolovič, Nicolas Slonimsky. Can't wait. No doubt also live video stream - spoilt rotten.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Could go along with all except the last two. I love classical song as a genre whether Lied, mélodie, English song, Czech/Russian pesni. Poetry+piano+human voice is surely a miraculous concoction. Lunchtime recitals are frequently the highlight of a Radio 3 day for me. Tomorrow's live Wigmore session looks especially enticing: "New Generation Artist Ema Nikolovska with pianist Malcolm Martineau, including songs by Schubert, Dvorak, Britten and Lili Boulanger" Fascinatingly also some songs from composers entirely new to me: Vítězslava Kaprálová, Ana Sokolovič, Nicolas Slonimsky. Can't wait. No doubt also live video stream - spoilt rotten.
                                If Slonimsky is new to you as a composer, I do hope you are at least familiar with his Lexicon of Musical Invective. A small tome which should be in every Radio 3 Forum contributors' book collection. Slonimskywas also a friend of Frank Zappa and, indeed, performed with him in at least one concert.

Comment

Working...
                                X