X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

What on earth is this all about ...?

Remixing? Like puttin' a backin track on ala Waldo De los Rios or some other?Maybe rescoring for electronic instruments and synthesizers.
    Nah - old hat - Walter/Wendy Carlos and and Tomita have been there before.

So what is this all about?
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    https://www.classical-music.com/news...etters_1874186

Remixing? Like puttin' a backin track on ala Waldo De los Rios or some other?Maybe rescoring for electronic instruments and synthesizers.
    Nah - old hat - Walter/Wendy Carlos and and Tomita have been there before.

So what is this all about?
    Ratings.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Ratings.
      Beatings.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Ratings.
        It’s Roll over week obviously! It was Berry’d years ago. Side 2 Track 1 of ‘With the Beatles’ and Elo Elo Elo again the early 70s! Then there was Hooked on Classics and then this

Which Bryn may have played on - so nothing new really except that the latest idea will probably be dreadful whereas the others above were all good in their execution! The its all a matter of taste!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          It’s Roll over week obviously! It was Berry’d years ago. Side 2 Track 1 of ‘With the Beatles’ and Elo Elo Elo again the early 70s! Then there was Hooked on Classics and then this

Which Bryn may have played on - so nothing new really except that the latest idea will probably be dreadful whereas the others above were all good in their execution! The its all a matter of taste!
          Not guilty. I played in the same concert as them on two occasions, once as a member of the Scratch Orchestra's "Shrapnel Wood and Metal Band" and once as a "Slippery Merchant", but I was only ever an honorary member, of the Portsmouth Sinfonia, not an active participant.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

There's a comment from someone who played the clarinet on the recording and reported that all were to play 'as well as they could' and definitely NO laughing.

One's own reaction to it may be either to wince and say 'How awful' - or to laugh. What I'm not too sure about is the purpose of recording it and releasing a record. That is something completely different from the communal performance of attempting. I winced and laughed!

So, again, what is the purpose of this latest BBC initiative? Are we supposed to laugh at the results, or say 'What an interesting new take on Beethoven. This is Beethoven for the 21st century'?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              There's a comment from someone who played the clarinet on the recording and reported that all were to play 'as well as they could' and definitely NO laughing.

One's own reaction to it may be either to wince and say 'How awful' - or to laugh. What I'm not too sure about is the purpose of recording it and releasing a record. That is something completely different from the communal performance of attempting. I winced and laughed!

So, again, what is the purpose of this latest BBC initiative? Are we supposed to laugh at the results, or say 'What an interesting new take on Beethoven. This is Beethoven for the 21st century'?
              The Portsmouth Sinfonia I believe only allowed proper musicians if they played an instrument other than their regular one!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                what is the purpose of this latest BBC initiative? Are we supposed to laugh at the results, or say 'What an interesting new take on Beethoven. This is Beethoven for the 21st century'?
                The purpose is probably to associate classical music with DJ culture, something in which the BBC is as usual somewhere behind the cutting edge and catching up in what one might describe as a "dad dancing" sort of way. On the other hand I wouldn't bet against there being any interesting results.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  The purpose is probably to associate classical music with DJ culture, something in which the BBC is as usual somewhere behind the cutting edge and catching up in what one might describe as a "dad dancing" sort of way.
                  That associative purpose crossed my mind but the "dad dancing" analogy seems very apt!

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  On the other hand I wouldn't bet against there being any interesting results.
                  No, I wouldn't bet against it if some skilled DJs are attracted to the idea. Though it does come close (in my view) to making classical music a newly discovered exploitable commodity ready to be mined, processed and packaged - as in reality TV shows like Classical Idol and Maestro.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                  X