X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mario
    • Aug 2020

Mozart PC No 27

I suppose some older posters may recall my passion for Beethoven.

I’m trying to learn more of Mozart’s music, which is embarrassingly poor to say the least.

I have just discovered this PC, and wow, is this sublime music or what?

How has it managed to avoid me for so long?

I don’t know where it ranks out of WMA’s 27. I know LvB’s 5 VERY well, but after No. 27, what next? I heard Alfred Brendel call No 9 “Mozart’s Eroica”, so maybe that should be next?

Mario
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Not quite right about number 9, Mario: Wiki claims that it was Albert Einstein who made the Eroica association, but Brendel was pretty complimentary, too: one of the greatest wonders of the world.

And I've just learnt from that article that the 'Jeunehomme' nickname is not correct, either, and should be 'Jenamy'. The young man was in fact a woman.

I hope that you enjoy listening to it.

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
      I’m trying to learn more of Mozart’s music, which is embarrassingly poor to say the least.
      I really hope that apparent opinion is a result of poor syntax rather than poor taste...

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Rolmill,
        Last edited by Mario; 05-09-20, 10:38.

Comment

• Mario
          • Aug 2020

Rolmill, – rap on the knuckles duly deserved and accepted, but how strange!

Why have some replies suddenly vanished?

I was busy Wiki-ing someone’s response about Jeunehomme being Jenamy, and the young man being a woman (whatever that means), or something like that anyway – did I dream these replies?

At any rate, I have four recordings of this work, which are

LSO – A Schnabel – Sir J Barbirolli (1934)
          ECO – D Barenboim – D Barenboim (EMI Classics boxed set)
          Philharmonia O – D Han – P Freeman (Brilliant boxed set), and
          NYPO – R Serkin – A Toscanini (1936)

I’m going to get to know these versions VERY well.

Mario

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

If one wants concertos in E flat, try number 22 as well. That is interesting for the wind playing at the opening.

Also - and this one I don't know well at all - so must correct - try number 14.
            This is available as an mp3 from IMSLP, courtesy of the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum - https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Concert...fgang_Amadeus). The name of the pianist might take some finding.

I can't speak for everyone, but most of the ones after 17 are worth hearing/knowing - particularly concertos 20 to 27, and number 23 in A seems to be a favourite with many people.

Brendel is very good in some - such as the Jeunehomme concerto mentioned. Murray Perahia made some lovely recordings - well worth looking out for, while Stephen Kovacevich on Philips is excellent in the later ones.
            Last edited by Dave2002; 05-09-20, 11:15.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Some classic older recordings for the list:

Clara Haskil and Ferenc Fricsay with BPO

Clifford Curzon & Benjamin Britten ECO

Emil Gilels/Karl Böhm VPO

Alfred Brendel/Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields

Many years ago while impecunious I bought a couple of the old bargain Turnabout LPs with Brendel and Walter Klien. A few years ago I downloaded the whole lot absurdly cheaply. https://classicselectworlddigital.co...gital-download

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Should you be interested in hearing K595 played on the sort of instruments the composer would have been familiar with, try Brautigam/Willens:

They have also recorded the others except 7 and 11, which Brautigam recorded earlier with the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien. Good SACD sound in all of them. Several other 'HIPP' surveys exist, of which those by Jos Van Immerseel and Viviana Sofronitzki are well worth hearing.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Rolmill, – rap on the knuckles duly deserved and accepted, but how strange!

At any rate, I have four recordings of this work, which are

LSO – A Schnabel – Sir J Barbirolli (1934)
                  ECO – D Barenboim – D Barenboim (EMI Classics boxed set)
                  Philharmonia O – D Han – P Freeman (Brilliant boxed set), and
                  NYPO – R Serkin – A Toscanini (1936)

I’m going to get to know these versions VERY well.

Mario
                  I don't think Mozart composed a single 'duff' piano concerto, and consequently I have FAR TOO MANY recordings on my shelves, including Murray Perahia playing the very earliest. My favourite has long been No. 24 (K491). The only time I grimace is when somebody on Radio 3, Classic FM or Lyric FM offers me the slow movement of No. 21 (K467) YET AGAIN.... 'Other movements and other concertos are available'
                  Last edited by LMcD; 05-09-20, 17:54.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    Could it be .... surely not .... apparently it is!
                    An alternative to wiki: https://www.redlandssymphony.com/pie...o-9-jeunehomme . The misunderstanding regarding Ms. Jenové's name appears to have been down to a simple mishearing of a name from a different county.

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Not quite right about number 9, Mario: Wiki claims that it was Albert Einstein who made the Eroica association, but Brendel was pretty complimentary, too: one of the greatest wonders of the world.

And I've just learnt from that article that the 'Jeunehomme' nickname is not correct, either, and should be 'Jenamy'. The young man was in fact a woman.

I hope that you enjoy listening to it.
                      The first time I heard no. 9 was when Mitsuko Uchida played it as part of a year long series of concerts at the QEH in which she played and directed all of Mozart’s piano concertos in the early 80s. I can still remember cycling home after the concert with the finale still going around in my head, having been completely blown away by the music and the performance.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mario
                        • Aug 2020

Thanks Bryn.

I love HIPP, and have never really fully understood people’s dislike of it – still, each to their own.

I would still like to know what happened to the few postings that appeared briefly. I think one was from Cloughie who gave me a couple of suggestions.

I’ve Wiki-ed PC No 9, and now understand the mistake of confusing Ms Victoire Jenamy and an unnamed young French pianist. Heavens, this site is useful for learning so much, so quickly.

Another posting that vanished (by Pulcinella?) was correct in pointing out my mistake that it was NOT Alfred Brendel, but Einstein who called it Beethoven’s Eroica – another work to get to know - Mozart’s PC of course, not Beethoven’s symphony.

And yet another vanished reply, was by someone (forgive me, I cannot recall who), who gave the advice that anything from the late concertos was worth pursuing.

Sounds like a few weeks of Mozart's pc's coming up!

What a treat must be awaiting me!

Mario

Comment

• Mario
                          • Aug 2020

So it was Pulcinella - thanks LHC!

What happened to his posting?

Mario

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

So it was Pulcinella - thanks LHC!

What happened to his posting?

Mario
                            My post is still there, Mario, as number 2 in the thread.
                            It was later ones (yes, from cloughie) that mysteriously disappeared, and I think that you are right that they might have mentioned the later concertos, but so has Dave.
                            Your post prompted me to listen to PC9 (as mentioned on the What classical music......thread), and I followed it up by listening to PC23 (Perahia/English Chamber Orchestra).

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I was busy Wiki-ing someone’s response about Jeunehomme being Jenamy, and the young man being a woman (whatever that means), or something like that anyway – did I dream these replies?
                              I haven't been around this morning, but Pulcinella's Msg #2 still mentions Mme Jenamy as the dedicatee of No 9. I wonder what the evidence is for Jenové? Bryn? I followed the link but it doesn't give a source. The dispute seems to be between Lorenz and Maunder as to which of them first uncovered Mme Louise Victoire Jenamy (1714-1812), daughter of Mozart's friend Noverre.

I have the Géza Anda set of the PCs, the only version I have of No 9. Pretty good among the older recordings. Oh, I see I also have Derek Han, Philharmonia/Freeman which is the Complete Mozart recording which my brother gave me a couple of days ago as he said he'd listened to the ones he wanted to (Beethovenian him). They were in exchange for the complete Dvořák symphonies which I'd given him. We both thought we'd done well.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X