• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Milli Violini

Might be of interest to some folks....

Jessica Chiccehitto Hindman spent years touring America in an orchestra of gifted players who mimed to CDs. She relives their bizarre performances – and her eventual collapse
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...s-like-titanic
    Reminds me of a wonderful story told by the jazz trumpet player Henry Lowther. He and saxophonist Lyn Dobson joined Manfred Mann in 1966; Henry related how they would do exhausting trips and up and down the A1, such as it then was, sharing transport in Manfred's Morris Minor! One one occasion they were to "do" Skegness, or some such place on the Lincs/Yorks coast. Dobson had hitched his own way up and then off the A1, arriving at the venue and the opening his sax case to find he had forgotten to bring any reeds! In those pre-stage monitor days, speakers projecting from behind the band at massive volume effectively rendered the backing horns inaudible (they rarely if ever soloed, apparently). "What am I going to do?" a worried Lyn Dobson asked Henry; "Just stick a rolled up bit of newspaper into the mouthpiece to look like a reed, and mime the set", Henry advised. Lyn ended up miming the entire evening - nobody noticed!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...s-like-titanic
      Very weird. Is there, or has there been, a lot of this about?

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Very weird. Is there, or has there been, a lot of this about?
        I don't know about instrumental but didn't TOTP run into problems with the pop vocal version, and doesn't it still happen in that sphere?

Comment

Working...
        X