• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Finzi: Song cycles

As mentioned elsewhere, I would like to get to know the Finzi Song cycles, and this seems a good time to do just that.
    I treated myself to the Collected Songs (Boosey & Hawkes), which contains the music for 54 songs; Opus 14 is not included, but there are additional ones from Love's Labour's Lost.

The voice and piano cycles are:

Opus 13a: To a poet (6 songs)
    Opus 13b: Oh fair to see (7 songs)
    Opus 14: A young man’s exhortation (10 songs)
    Opus 15: Earth and air and rain (10 songs)
    Opus 16: Before and after summer (10 songs)
    Opus 18: Let us garlands bring (5 songs)
    Opus 19a: Till Earth outwears (7 songs)
    Opus 19b: I said to love (6 songs)

I don't intend doing any sort of comparative performance review of the recordings I have (hence I'm posting on this thread rather than the Recordings in discussion thread), but I'll list them in a subsequent post.

I know that there are other members of the Forum for whom these songs are very special, and it would be good to see some contributions about which ones particularly appeal and why. Pabmusic, on the Composers thread, has already informed us that the only instance where Finzi sets a syllable to more than one note is in For life I had never cared greatly (the fifth song in I said to love).

I'm looking forward to my project immensely, and (as also already mentioned) may even try my hand at the piano accompaniments, which I'm sure are rewarding in themselves.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 21-03-20, 17:10. Reason: Capital needed for Earth in Op 19a title, I suspect.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Here are the recordings I have of these cycles.

Opus 13a: Roberts/Benson (Hyperion), Williams/Burnside (Naxos)
    Opus 13b: Ainsley/Burnside (Naxos), Gilchrist/Tilbrook (Linn), Partridge/Benson (Hyperion)
    Opus 14: Ainsley/Burnside (Naxos), Gilchrist/Tilbrook (Linn), Roberts/Benson (Hyperion)
    Opus 15: Riches/Tilbrook (BBC MM), Varcoe/Benson (Hyperion), Williams/Burnside (Naxos)
    Opus 16: Varcoe/Benson (Hyperion), Williams/Burnside (Naxos)
    Opus 18: Terfel/Martineau (DG)
    Opus 19a: Ainsley/Burnside (Naxos), Gilchrist/Tilbrook (Linn), Hill/Benson (Hyperion)
    Opus 19b: Varcoe/Benson (Hyperion), Williams/Burnside (Naxos)

In addition, I have the following:

Opus 2: By footpath and stile (6 songs for baritone and string quartet)
    Williams/Sacconi SQ (Naxos)

Arrangement with strings of Opus 18
    Lemalu/BBCSO/van Steen (BBC MM), Varcoe/CLS/Hickox (Chandos)

In years defaced (6 songs arranged for voice and orchestra)
    Ainsley/CLS/Hickox (Chandos)

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Other sources of background material that I have:

Gerald Finzi by Stephen Banfield
      Gerald Finzi by Diana McVeagh
      Parry to Finzi by Trevor Hold

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Earth and Air and Rain was introduced to me last year. I was especially taken with the sweetly moving To Lisbie Brown.

Comment

• Historian
          • Aug 2012

What a wonderful way to use your 'extra time'. The piano accompaniments would be well worth getting to know I think. I've just sent off for the Hyperion 2 CD set of Opus 14, 15, 16 and 19 a and b. It is a favourite of mine but I have lost my original copy. It's available from Hyperion directly for a very reasonable price. As you say these songs are 'very special'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

I've only quite recently concerned myself with these songs, partly prompted by happening by pure chance upon Finzi's house. On a lovely summer's day a few years ago we had been on a bracing Sunday walk up Beacon Hill near Newbury and decided to visit the nearby Ashmansworth church. There is a beautiful engraved memorial window in the porch and the house right next door has a commemorative blue plaque.

I already had several individual recordings from Janet Baker and Bryn Terfel but then got the 2CD issue on Hyperion dyad. At only £6.50, it is a snip and a wonderful way to have 43 of the 50+ songs. There are useful sleeve notes and full song texts. I have loved getting to know them and have just bought Parry to Finzi by Trevor Hold, mentioned above, to assist me in this. I certainly now have time to do full justice to them and your post has given me a timely nudge.

Comment

• Historian
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I already had several individual recordings from Janet Baker and Bryn Terfel but then got the 2CD issue on Hyperion dyad. At only £6.50, it is a snip and a wonderful way to have 43 of the 50+ songs. There are useful sleeve notes and full song texts.
              That's the one: quite a bargain. Thank you for the reminder that I need to head on a pilgrimage to West Berkshire one of these days.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I need to head on a pilgrimage to West Berkshire one of these days.
                Which will leave a nice long walk back to Ashmansworth in North Hampshire.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

That's the one: quite a bargain. Thank you for the reminder that I need to head on a pilgrimage to West Berkshire one of these days.
                  Our posts crossed with comments on the Hyperion discs, which I suppose emphasises what a good buy it is.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

I'm a Finzi enthusiast too, especially the songs. The abovementioned Hyperion box and the Williams/ Burnside Naxoses are on the shelves but my excellent introduction came back in the 70s via a couple of Lyrita LPs, SRCS 38 and 93. These are still available, 1st and 5th in this listing, so I'll give them a plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=finzi+l...ref=nb_sb_noss And these days you get extras

PS Now 1st and 6th in the listing. So either they've moved it or I can't count
                    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 21-03-20, 17:04.
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      I'm a Finzi enthusiast too
                      Me too! (The only composer of whom I have a small bronze bust at home )

As mentioned on the ‘what are you practising?’ thread, a friend and fellow Finzi fan (also an occasional poster here) who is a fine tenor suggested that I work on Till Earth Outwears with a view to performing the cycle together at some point in future. Going over the songs note by note and learning to play them (a process not yet complete ) has been a revelation, even to a confirmed Finzian. What a gorgeous cycle!!

Incidentally, comparative listening led me quite quickly to the conclusion that the Gilchrist/Tilbrook recording is by a long way my favourite (but then, I do have allergies to the voices of Ainsley and - even more so - Hill, so it wasn’t a hard choice). Even so, James Gilchrist and Anna Tilbrook get them just about perfectly to my ears.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Other sources of background material that I have:

Gerald Finzi by Stephen Banfield
                        Gerald Finzi by Diana McVeagh
                        Parry to Finzi by Trevor Hold
                        It may possibly cover the same ground as his Finzi biography but Banfield's Sensibility and English Song is excellent, not least for its very detailed work-lists (127pp!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensibility...FCE2A1821896D3

It has a 26-page chapter called 'Time and destiny: the Hardy songs of Gerald Finzi'.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Me too! (The only composer of whom I have a small bronze bust at home )

As mentioned on the ‘what are you practising?’ thread, a friend and fellow Finzi fan (also an occasional poster here) who is a fine tenor suggested that I work on Till Earth Outwears with a view to performing the cycle together at some point in future. Going over the songs note by note and learning to play them (a process not yet complete ) has been a revelation, even to a confirmed Finzian. What a gorgeous cycle!!

Incidentally, comparative listening led me quite quickly to the conclusion that the Gilchrist/Tilbrook recording is by a long way my favourite (but then, I do have allergies to the voices of Ainsley and - even more so - Hill, so it wasn’t a hard choice). Even so, James Gilchrist and Anna Tilbrook get them just about perfectly to my ears.
                          You must have bigger hands than me!
                          Foolish of me to think that I could tackle the piano part.

The first chord in bar 4 of the first song in Till Earth Outwears is (from bottom up) LH F-C-A flat, RH D-C-E flat, and my poor little hands just don't stretch that far.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            You must have bigger hands than me!
                            Foolish of me to think that I could tackle the piano part.

The first chord in bar 4 of the first song in Till Earth Outwears is (from bottom up) LH F-C-A flat, RH D-C-E flat, and my poor little hands just don't stretch that far.
                            At least (as my friend said when making the suggestion) they are all pretty slow! Otherwise, I’d be nowhere
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

If you do, be sure to head to Walbury Hill just south of Hungerford for truly wonderful views , apparently it’s the highest spot in South East England.
                              A very special place that I discovered by accident.

Anyway, great thread Pulcers, I have some of Roderick just downloading, got to be great with him singing.

Only heard him once live, singing the Sea Symphony. Really ought to try to hear him in a recital.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X