• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Listening to music one dislikes

Does anyone else have the bizarre compulsion to listen music even though you know you dislike it?

Recently (since yesterday) I've found myself listening to some Van Halen. It's cringe-worthy, but that doesn't stop my curiosity.

Also, I used to go to raves even though I don't really like dance music, or at least most of it.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Does anyone else have the bizarre compulsion to listen music even though you know you dislike it?

Recently (since yesterday) I've found myself listening to some Van Halen. It's cringe-worthy, but that doesn't stop my curiosity.

Also, I used to go to raves even though I don't really like dance music, or at least most of it.
    Maybe only on the basis of giving it a listen just in case there may be more to it that I thought, but I am on a thinning out of my CD collection musical spring clean, and maybe giving a last listen to things that may well go in the Charity Shop box. I do,however, now switch off the radio more rather than listen to things which are a serious waste of my listening time.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I don’t listen to music that I hate. I also don’t apply a blow torch to my genitals or bang my head against a wall to to enjoy the sensation of having stopped. You enjoy your hobbies, and I will enjoy mine

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

If I might jump in here ()
        How do you know that you hate something unless you try it ?

I often suggest to students that they listen to music they think they won't enjoy.
        And, it's got a lot to do with the context for listening (but you know I was going to say that.....)

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          If I might jump in here ()
          How do you know that you hate something unless you try it ?

I often suggest to students that they listen to music they think they won't enjoy.
          And, it's got a lot to do with the context for listening (but you know I was going to say that.....)
          What do you mean by context, please? (A genuine question!)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Yeah, sometimes the imp of perversity takes hold of me. It's not good wasting time or wanting to waste time. I suppose, however, it might renew slightly one's appreciation for good music.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Er ... no.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I tend to side with MrGG on this, believing anything broadly within my self-defined generic remits () is worth giving a go. It could change one's mind - one never knows. That said, there will always probably be certain pieces that I will never appreciate, "Jseu Joy of Man's Desiring" being one, and also the clichéd manner of singing and the music in general that now sadly passes for Gospel music on most Sunday morning church services as broadcast on Radio 4 while I am taking my bath. Well, I suppose I could just listen to the dripping hot tap in otherwise silent bulging stomach contemplation instead, I s'pose.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Well, I LOATHE Bruckner's 8th symphony despite having heard some very fine musicians perform it. (Abbado/Vienna Philharmonic and NDR Symphony Orchestra under Gunther Wand to name but two occasions!) However, I respect that it's rightly regarded as one of the great pillars of Western Civilisation so, every now and again, I attempt to listen to it to see if I can get anything out of it. I never do, but MAYBE one day!

(I should say that I love the ninth symphony!)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                    What do you mean by context, please? (A genuine question!)
                    I find that there is some music that I love listening to in certain places but not others.
                    I'm no great jazz enthusiast but sometimes love to encounter it played live or even in cafes etc

Whether I "like" a piece of music or not can depend more on the social context of it's hearing than the actual sounds in the music.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Well, I LOATHE Bruckner's 8th symphony despite having heard some very fine musicians perform it. (Abbado/Vienna Philharmonic and NDR Symphony Orchestra under Gunther Wand to name but two occasions!) However, I respect that it's rightly regarded as one of the great pillars of Western Civilisation so, every now and again, I attempt to listen to it to see if I can get anything out of it. I never do, but MAYBE one day!

(I should say that I love the ninth symphony!)
                      Try the BBC Legends - Halle/Barbirolli - an extraordinary performance from weeks before he died.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

I find that there is some music that I love listening to in certain places but not others.
                        I'm no great jazz enthusiast but sometimes love to encounter it played live or even in cafes etc

Whether I "like" a piece of music or not can depend more on the social context of it's hearing than the actual sounds in the music.
                        Yes. I'm the same. Context is a major factor.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          Context is a major factor.
                          Indeed so.

Comment

• Quarky
                            • Dec 2010

Many thanks - yes I agree Jazz is usually more enjoyable in a live context, or even recorded Jazz broadcast in a Cafe.

My own viewpoint is that I am suspicious of my dislikes, since these tend to change over time, and even some music I have loved in the past, these days I might prefer not to listen to, or even dislike.

In my view it is very worthwhile examining your mind set before giving an item the thumbs down, in case the dislike is based on a prejudice or a conclusion or decision that really doesn't stand up to investigation.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                              Many thanks - yes I agree Jazz is usually more enjoyable in a live context, or even recorded Jazz broadcast in a Cafe.

My own viewpoint is that I am suspicious of my dislikes, since these tend to change over time, and even some music I have loved in the past, these days I might prefer not to listen to, or even dislike.

In my view it is very worthwhile examining your mind set before giving an item the thumbs down, in case the dislike is based on a prejudice or a conclusion or decision that really doesn't stand up to investigation.

(I have done extensive research and listening and can safely say that IMV DoG is still cr*p )

Comment

Working...
                              X