X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Violin sonatas on the cello

Caught the end of the Franck A major sonata played on the cello, R3 lunchtime today, and indeed I know it is played and recorded like that pretty often. Is there anything to stop cellists doing the same trick with, say, the Beethoven violin sonatas? If so, is it a technical thing or is it that such a transcription would be seen as a 'moral' no-no, LvB commanding respect in a way that Franck doesn't? How many other violin sonatas get the cello treatment?
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

There's a transcription by Paul Klengel of Brahms G major Violin Sonata (into D major) for cello.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Anner Bylsma used to play some of the Bach solo violin works on the cello piccolo. He also arranged the solo flute partita both for solo cello and for small ensemble. Some of these are available on disc.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Caught the end of the Franck A major sonata played on the cello, R3 lunchtime today, and indeed I know it is played and recorded like that pretty often. Is there anything to stop cellists doing the same trick with, say, the Beethoven violin sonatas? If so, is it a technical thing or is it that such a transcription would be seen as a 'moral' no-no, LvB commanding respect in a way that Franck doesn't? How many other violin sonatas get the cello treatment?
        I don't know, but much as I sympathise with cellists wanting to play the gorgeous Franck sonata, the cello version never stirkes me as having done the work any favours, TBH...

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          I don't know, but much as I sympathise with cellists wanting to play the gorgeous Franck sonata, the cello version never stirkes me as having done the work any favours, TBH...

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Somewhat off topic, but the two versions of Stravinsky's Suite italienne (one for violin, the other for cello) use different bits of Pulcinella: I wonder if the composer (and arrangers) thought that some of the dances worked better for one instrument than the other.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

To repeat my original question, can anyone explain why, AFAIK, cellists don't play Beethoven violin sonatas?
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Didn’t Franck authorize the Cello version of his Sonata? I can’t imagine that Beethoven would have done the same. His Violin Sonatas tend to exploit the highest ranges of the Violin.The thought of the gruffest tone of the cello in the openings of the Spring or the Kruetzer doesn’t quicken my pulse. Otoh, there might be a possibility of going the reverse direction; op.69 on the Violin might be pretty exciting.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  Didn’t Franck authorize the Cello version of his Sonata? I can’t imagine that Beethoven would have done the same. His Violin Sonatas tend to exploit the highest ranges of the Violin.The thought of the gruffest tone of the cello in the openings of the Spring or the Kruetzer doesn’t quicken my pulse. Otoh, there might be a possibility of going the reverse direction; op.69 on the Violin might be pretty exciting.
                  A viola would make a better job, surely. Basically a simple octave transposition.

[Such transcriptions can be found at the ISMLP site under "Arrangements and Transcriptions". ]
                  Last edited by Bryn; 25-02-20, 13:39. Reason: Update

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Certainly works beautifully for the Schumann Cello Concerto doesn't it? Never sure which version I prefer.....

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I think Rachmaninov’s Cello Sonata might sound good as a Violin Sonata.

Comment

Working...
                      X