X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

New Generation Artists 20th anniversary

How refreshing to turn on Radio 3 in the morning and hear a whole piece - janine Jansen in the Brahms Concerto in this tribute programme rather than the ubiquitous Mr McGregor talking over an expert or Suzy Klein blithering about a playlist.
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Whole pieces very welcome but shouldn’t there also be an Older generation artists scheme for those with who blazed a early trail and are now (IMHO ) overlooked ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      How refreshing to turn on Radio 3 in the morning and hear a whole piece - janine Jansen in the Brahms Concerto in this tribute programme rather than the ubiquitous Mr McGregor talking over an expert or Suzy Klein blithering about a playlist.
      - slightly ironic that it has taken a celebration of the younger generation of performers to restore (however briefly) the standards of t'olden days.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Enjoy it while it lasts !

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Standard of performances are very high . This string quartet is excellent - so much tonal variety ....

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Anybody knows exactly how they are selected? I have never been able to find out.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Whilst applauding the scheme in general, I have reservations too. Once the musicians have been selected, they get labelled as such, and then the BBC plugs the musicians (and the corporation) relentlessly, rather like Suzy's playlist, Katie's giggles, The Lark Ascending and saturation projects. Meanwhile, those who didn't make the grade, in the opinion of the selectors, are lucky even to be noticed.

A good scheme, but a bit of tweaking wouldn't be a bad thing.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Anybody knows exactly how they are selected? I have never been able to find out.
                I have been wondering this, following on from criticism voiced on another NGA related thread. I also wondered if this
                Once the musicians have been selected, they get labelled as such, and then the BBC plugs the musicians (and the corporation) relentlessly,
                is why a wider range of performers/repertoire isn't in evidence; the demands and constraints of the award may be unsuitable or unacceptable.
                The pessimist R3 listener in me says make the most of it while it's here, whatever the shortcomings, because it seems just the kind of cost-cutting target the beancounters would pick in the ever deeper cuts which seem inevitable now.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  I have been wondering this, following on from criticism voiced on another NGA related thread. I also wondered if this is why a wider range of performers/repertoire isn't in evidence; the demands and constraints of the award may be unsuitable or unacceptable.
                  The pessimist R3 listener in me says make the most of it while it's here, whatever the shortcomings, because it seems just the kind of cost-cutting target the beancounters would pick in the ever deeper cuts which seem inevitable now.
                  As this Thread is moving away from the individual performances themselves and onto the "ethics" of the scheme itself, I was wondering about merging it with that other one.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    As this Thread is moving away from the individual performances themselves and onto the "ethics" of the scheme itself, I was wondering about merging it with that other one.

Comment

Working...
                    X