X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    20 over the last year (including the choral arrangement).

26 times.

With 338 broadcasts in total, RVW comes above Rachmaninoff in the OP list (and therefore knocks Grieg off the table). This must mean that the short fragments featured on things like The Listening Service aren't included in the source from which that list originates.

EDIT: I think I've found a total of six broadcasts of complete RVW Symphonies, Heldy - not sure because "the 2nd" can come under "A" (A London Symphony), "L", and/or "S".

It looks to me like there were 8 full symphonies played Sea 1, 3rd 2, 4th 2, 5th 1 and 7th 2.

And we were given 2 days 2 hours 45 minutes and 56secs of RVW in total ........ subject to audit ...
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-01-20, 11:52.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I assume you mean Nikolai not Maurice? I quite like the former, but could listen to the latter 10 times consecutively.
      Yes I must exclude Maurice from my Scheherazadaphobia..

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
        ...and it attracts some beautiful singers!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          It looks to me like there were 8 full symphonies played Sea 1, 3rd 2, 4th 2, 5th 1 and 7th 2.

And we were given 2 days 2 hours 45 minutes and 56secs of RVW in total ........ subject to audit ...
          Sterling work there . Interestingly 2 days (48 hours? ) sounds a lot more than 388 broadcasts. Still no complete London ( could have sworn I heard one though last year ) , no 6 , 8 and 9 ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

I assume you mean Nikolai not Maurice? I quite like the former, but could listen to the latter 10 times consecutively.
            Indeed - as referred to by Heldy to which I replied. With Nikolai's piece, of course, you do hear it "10 times consecutively" at each and every single performance.

Eigh ferney lay off our anton - ‘ave you got anything better?
            ???? Had I wished to "lay on our anton" I wouldn't have started with a - anton points out the flaws in the source, to which I agreed, but pointed out its value to us in spite of these.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

And mine!

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Sterling work there . Interestingly 2 days (48 hours? ) sounds a lot more than 388 broadcasts. Still no complete London ( could have sworn I heard one though last year ) , no 6 , 8 and 9 ...
                R3 seems to think you only needed to play the 3rd movement of the London in 2019 and has done so on at least half a dozen occasions .... !!!!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  R3 seems to think you only needed to play the 3rd movement of the London in 2019 and has done so on at least half a dozen occasions .... !!!!
                  That is so odd as to almost call into question the validity of the database. Just checked though it’s a 7 min scherzo - perfect scheduling material in terms of length and pace . I had a similar theory about the huge number of Phil Collins tracks on R2 - you can fit them in anywhere ( apologies RVW)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

That is so odd as to almost call into question into validity of the database. Just checked though it’s a 7 min scherzo - perfect scheduling material in terms of length and pace . I had a similar theory about the huge number of Phil Collins tracks on R2 - you can fit them in anywhere ( apologies RVW)
                    This was mentioned in #27, too. The 6 broadcasts were:

1st March on Breakfast
                    25th April in the interval of that evening's R3 in Concert
                    13th May on Essentially Crassic
                    17th May on Mix Tape
                    16th July on Essentially Crassic
                    2nd Jan (2020) on the "Proms Repeats" slot - even though the Prom that was repeated that day didn't include the RVW. (It was another plug for the new Andrew Manze recording of the whole work - as was the inteval broacast on 25th April)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Interestingly 2 days (48 hours? ) sounds a lot more than 388 broadcasts.
                      Mea culpa! My eye problems have obviously not entirely cleared up - an more careful looking, it's actually 338 broadcasts, not 388.

(I've corrected the number in my previous posts - my sincere apologies )

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Mea culpa! My eye problems have obviously not entirely cleared up - an more careful looking, it's actually 338 broadcasts, not 388.

(I've corrected the number in my previous posts - my sincere apologies )

Ferney - please no need to apologise .I do hope you are not straining your eyes unduly. I’ve been looking at the radio list on my iPad and the txt is very small.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Does anybody happen to know how often the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th was played?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Does anybody happen to know how often the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th was played?
                            13 altogether:

1st Jan on Ess C
                            21st Jan on Lunchtime Concert (an arrangement for vln & pno)
                            26th Jan on Inside Music, chosen by Angela Hewitt
                            27th Jan (an exact repeat of the Lunchtime Concert)
                            3rd Sept on In Tune
                            14th Feb on TtN
                            18th May on Inside Music, chosen by Jordon van Rijen
                            3rd June on Classical Fix
                            23rd Sept on TtN (exact repeat of the 14th Feb programme)
                            11th July on Ess C
                            25th Aug on Private Passions

... and ...

a fragment on The Listening Service on 19th April

and, possibly, in the Afternoon Concert on 11th November. (I say "possibly" because the Beeb website for that programme describes the piece played as "Im Abendrot (Adagietto aus der 5. Sinfonie)"!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

I make it 26 times assuming its also known at movt 4 . It’s catalogued as this and also as Adagietto . This figure includes single movement playing and as part of the symphony. The catalogue is well confusing ....

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

13 altogether:

1st Jan on Ess C
                                21st Jan on Lunchtime Concert (an arrangement for vln & pno)
                                26th Jan on Inside Music, chosen by Angela Hewitt
                                27th Jan (an exact repeat of the Lunchtime Concert)
                                3rd Sept on In Tune
                                14th Feb on TtN
                                18th May on Inside Music, chosen by Jordon van Rijen
                                3rd June on Classical Fix
                                23rd Sept on TtN (exact repeat of the 14th Feb programme)
                                11th July on Ess C
                                25th Aug on Private Passions

... and ...

a fragment on The Listening Service on 19th April

and, possibly, in the Afternoon Concert on 11th November. (I say "possibly" because the Beeb website for that programme describes the piece played as "Im Abendrot (Adagietto aus der 5. Sinfonie)"!
                                I make it 18 single perfs as either Adagietto or movt 4 . I’m counting Abendrot...

Comment

Working...
                                X