X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
    There is a serious underlying point though . The preponderance of 5 to 12 minute pieces like overtures and Debussy miniatures comes about because the sequence programmes operate on the philosophy of “if you don’t like this there’ll be something else in a minute “
    Not so much if you don't like this; more, if you can't concentrate for more than 5 minutes...

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      Thanks Ferney. I’d love to get hold of this spreadsheet - is it readily available? Because I work a lot from home I often listen from 09.00 onwards . My facile remark about those pieces was just a perception that L’Ile Joyuese was on ALL THE TIME . So much so I decided to ‘have a bash’ at it . Mistake - it’s really hard...though I can make the last two pages sound ok .
      Another piece on ALL THE TIME - your favourite and mine Scheherazade...
      The spreadsheet is in the process of construction ..... as soon as it is finished I will publish the top 100 and anyone who wants it to play with it and/or enhance it just PM me ....

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

The absence of Vaughan Williams is puzzling given the number of times the lark must have ascended over the months - and the Tallis Fantasia seems to crop up fairly regularly.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          It has loaded with durations ..... question - some on shows such as The Listening Service, This Classical Life and Private Passions are very short - do we include these or not ...... ?????
          I suppose you could have a 1 minute minimum duration so as to exclude short illustrative clips ?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            The absence of Vaughan Williams is puzzling given the number of times the lark must have ascended over the months - and the Tallis Fantasia seems to crop up fairly regularly.

Been listening a lot recently - a complete VW symphony is a rare beast these days. Should add only my perception - I rarely listen at all from 22.00 to 09.00...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

The absence of Vaughan Williams is puzzling given the number of times the lark must have ascended over the months
              20 over the last year (including the choral arrangement).
              - and the Tallis Fantasia seems to crop up fairly regularly.
              26 times.

With 338 broadcasts in total, RVW comes above Rachmaninoff in the OP list (and therefore knocks Grieg off the table). This must mean that the short fragments featured on things like The Listening Service aren't included in the source from which that list originates.

EDIT: I think I've found a total of six broadcasts of complete RVW Symphonies, Heldy - not sure because "the 2nd" can come under "A" (A London Symphony), "L", and/or "S".
              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-01-20, 11:51.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Hopefully he will appear in the top 100 .......

I have already found a couple of glitches ..... as on the database composers are, commendably, given their full Sunday names I assumed they would be picked up from a standard BBC list .... and they probably are, but it looks like Rachmaninov and Shostakovich have two records each with different spellings of their christian names ..... !!!!!

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

26 times.

With 388 broadcasts in total, RVW comes above Rachmaninoff in the OP list (and therefore knocks Grieg off the table). This must mean that the short fragments featured on things like The Listening Service aren't included in the source from which that list originates.
                  Not necessarily ferney see the Rachmaninov glitch I have just posted about ...... the OP SR figure is, because of this, understated ......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Not necessarily ferney see the Rachmaninov glitch I have just posted about ...... the OP SR figure is, because of this, understated ......
                    - we're getting a general, if a little rough around the edges idea of R3 broadcasting trends, though.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

26 times.

With 338 broadcasts in total, RVW comes above Rachmaninoff in the OP list (and therefore knocks Grieg off the table). This must mean that the short fragments featured on things like The Listening Service aren't included in the source from which that list originates.

EDIT: I think I've found a total of six broadcasts of complete RVW Symphonies, Heldy - not sure because "the 2nd" can come under "A" (A London Symphony), "L", and/or "S".
                      I wasn't actually expecting such a detailed response - many thanks to you and Anton for all the trouble you've taken over this. The Tallis Fantasia is the 'one disc I would rescue from the waves' as I contemplated the prospect of life on Roy Plomley's Desert Island.
                      (Now... back to the Vistula for a moment ...)
                      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-01-20, 11:51.

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

The spreadsheet is in the process of construction ....
                        I trust you sought prior approval from Planning and from Building Control?

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                          I trust you sought prior approval from Planning and from Building Control?
                          Indeed my application is pending with Bonkershire District Council ......

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

I don't know of a Spreadsheet as such - I just used the individual composer search on Andrew's Listing pages (via the link I posted in #27). Turning this information into a single spreadsheet, (showing all the pieces broadcast, when, and by whom) is beyond me.

10 complete performances of Scheherazade, and 11 broadcasts of individual movements, by the way
                            I assume you mean Nikolai not Maurice? I quite like the former, but could listen to the latter 10 times consecutively.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

26 times.

Just 6 complete from (possibly ) Britain’s greatest symphonist....been listening a lot to the Haitink complete recently...
                              Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-01-20, 11:52.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

- we're getting a general, if a little rough around the edges idea of R3 broadcasting trends, though.
                                Eigh ferney lay off our anton - ‘ave you got anything better?

Thinking about it R3 is rough in the centre never mind the edges!

Comment

Working...
                                X