X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    ... or Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Walton ... before we get on to Tippett then Thomas Ades ..., and. I think we need at least the top 50 to get a more balanced picture, and perhaps a histogram representation.
    As I said above/below I will wait a few days before publishing, initially, a top 100 ..... everyone will then, of course, use their own favourite graphical representation ......

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
      I bet 70% of the Debussy is La Mer, L’ Ile Joyeuse and Feux d’Artifice
      I would think The Girl With The Flaxen Hair is broadcast quite often.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....Beethoven 9th 4th movement will need a column all of its own in 2020....
        bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

If I had the time I’d work out total durations which might bring Bach ( all those preludes and fugues ) down and restore Bruckner and Mahler to their rightful place in the sun.,
          So - are the numbers occurrences, or do they represent hours of time? A bit of clarification .... there might only be a few Wagner operas/music dramas each year, but they might still tot up a lot of hours. Verdi might do better, as his operas might be considered to be lots of little bits joined together - giving a higher occurrence count.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            So - are the numbers occurrences, or do they represent hours of time? A bit of clarification .... there might only be a few Wagner operas/music dramas each year, but they might still tot up a lot of hours. Verdi might do better, as his operas might be considered to be lots of little bits joined together - giving a higher occurrence count.
            The file is occurrences there is no elapsed time attached ......

Comment

• Zucchini
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              The file is occurrences there is no elapsed time attached ......
              So the Chopin Preludes & Etudes played individually across the year on Breakfast count as 48 plays? And the Preludes & 2x Etudes played in a Wigmore Hall recital count as 3 plays? That's bonkers

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                So the Chopin Preludes & Etudes played individually across the year on Breakfast count as 48 plays? And the Preludes & 2x Etudes played in a Wigmore Hall recital count as 3 plays? That's bonkers
                Indeed - I can send you the Excel file and you can unbonker it ......

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Unbonkering it might involve calculating the duration of each track by referring to say the Naxos library , YouTube and Amazon downloads and then doing some sums . While this would be an heroic endeavour it could be a phenomenal amount of work.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I take my hat off to you for taking on a job that will doubtless fling many brickbats in your direction, anton - most of them missing whatever the target is supposed to be!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Keep up the good work, AG.

Patience of a Saint needed round here........
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Unbonkering it might involve calculating the duration of each track by referring to say the Naxos library , YouTube and Amazon downloads and then doing some sums . While this would be an heroic endeavour it could be a phenomenal amount of work.
                        As you say phenomenal ..... it may be that if we use this base methodology going forward that Andrew can produce smaller weekly/monthly files with playing times per instance in - he has IIRC done it when we had one of our many discussions on length of pieces played in EC - these can then be accumulated ...... but he probably has more than enough on his plate.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Andrew's "Printable Listings" Thread each week contains a link to an Archive, where you can type in the name of any composer you like, and discover how many times his/her work has featured over the past up-to 400 days. Typing in "Vaughan Williams", for example, we discover that his Music has featured 338 times over the past 300 days - including six broadcasts of the Scherzo from the London Symphony:

Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 30-01-20, 11:47. Reason: found an extra scherzo-nocturne - then looked more closely at the figure
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                            • Mar 2007

As you say phenomenal ..... it may be that if we use this base methodology going forward that Andrew can produce smaller weekly/monthly files with playing times per instance in - he has IIRC done it when we had one of our many discussions on length of pieces played in EC - these can then be accumulated ...... but he probably has more than enough on his plate.
                            The database actually contains durations, so if I get the time I might be able to do some automatic sums.......

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                              The database actually contains durations, so if I get the time I might be able to do some automatic sums.......
                              If it’s in an excel spreadsheet that could be done very quickly ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

We also learn that Debussy's Feu d'Artifice was broadcast 14 times, l'Isle Joyeux 20 times (thrice in the Molinari orchestration - 14 of the broadcasts were during either Breakfast or Essentially Crassic ); and La Mer 16 times in full, with 12 further broadcasts of individual movements. So 62 out of 800 broadcasts - which isn't quite Heldy's "70%" (I hope nobody took him up on his bet!) but still showing a considerable lack of imagination from the various producers. (29 Faun's afternoon capers - mostly, ironically, broadcast before noon - making that the most frequently broadcast of Claude's output. The Girl had her flaxen hair done 15 times.)
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X