• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NatBalance
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Beyond the Planets Suite for electronics and orchestra

prelude: Sentinel (should played almost inaudibly before conductor enters, fading up as audience settles...)
    1) Big Bang - The Universe expands.....
    interlude: Sentinel
    2) Voyager - Beyond Pluto
    interlude: Sentinel
    3) Discovery - The Infinite and Beyond
    4) The Universe Contracts
    postlude: the Sentinel remains: everything has changed, nothing has changed....
    (should still be just audible through bows, applause, and as audience leave the hall...)
    Sounds interesting Jayne but what is it? Is it a piece that exists, one you are composing, or a suggestion as a separate suite to The Planets suite? I like the Sentinel idea, a piece that continues throughout, even as the audience leaves. Brilliant.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by NatBalance View Post
      Sounds interesting Jayne but what is it? Is it a piece that exists, one you are composing, or a suggestion as a separate suite to The Planets suite? I like the Sentinel idea, a piece that continues throughout, even as the audience leaves. Brilliant.
      Perhaps commissioning one of the forum’s composers?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Perhaps commissioning one of the forum’s composers?
        If this goes ahead, will Arthur C Clarke receive a credit for the idea of the Sentinel?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I always feel the same about the fifth movement Berio later added to the four of his 1968 Sinfonia, and for similar reasons. Actually, come to think of it, the harmonies Berio deploys in that original fourth movement finale have a strangely (in both senses) Holstian quality to them.
          I have to disagree here - the third movement is so overwhelming that the much shorter fourth hardly makes any impact at all as an ending, whereas the fifth in the complete version not only creates a more balanced overall structure but also acts as a kind of recapitulatory element as if all five movements constituted a single form.

Anyway, if Pluto is to be included in some hypothetical extended Planets (which as I've said goes in any case against Holst's concept which is astrological rather than astronomical) thn you'd also have to include the Kuiper belt object Eris, which is almost as large as Pluto and significantly more massive. Probably there are a few other "dwarf planets" out there still awaiting discovery.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I have to disagree here - the third movement is so overwhelming that the much shorter fourth hardly makes any impact at all as an ending, whereas the fifth in the complete version not only creates a more balanced overall structure but also acts as a kind of recapitulatory element as if all five movements constituted a single form.

Anyway, if Pluto is to be included in some hypothetical extended Planets (which as I've said goes in any case against Holst's concept which is astrological rather than astronomical) thn you'd also have to include the Kuiper belt object Eris, which is almost as large as Pluto and significantly more massive. Probably there are a few other "dwarf planets" out there still awaiting discovery.
            Who might you see as possible candidates to be asked to do this?...

Comment

Working...
            X