X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Frank Wright and his brother Denis we’re both foremost arrangers of music for brass band. Denis could compose pretty well too.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Michael Kennedy (The works of RVW) says: Transcribed by Gordon Jacob in 1924 for brass band (pub 1956) and for full orchestra (pub 1942). Arranged for piano by M Mullinar, 1949.
      The Boosey & Hawkes website begs to differ.

Comment

• Lordgeous
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Frank Wright and his brother Denis we’re both foremost arrangers of music for brass band. Denis could compose pretty well too.
        Denis, a lovely man, struggled to teach me Brass Band arranging when I was an RAM student. All those flats!!!

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          The Boosey & Hawkes website begs to differ.
          I wonder if Gordon Jacob 'subcontracted' without telling RVW?
          Actually, I think there's a later edition of Kennedy's book, so perhaps the misattribution got corrected, if indeed it is false.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            Denis, a lovely man, struggled to teach me Brass Band arranging when I was an RAM student. All those flats!!!
            Ah, the scourge of Tge brass instrumentalists!

Frank Wright was the arranger not Gordon Jacob.
            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Reverting for a moment to my original query, the answer appears to be 'woodwind'.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Reverting for a moment to my original query, the answer appears to be 'woodwind'.
                Your original query is in the affirmative! Both versions for military and brass band are as good as each other. Gordon Jacob’s arrangement for orchestra, doesn’t really suit.
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I see what you're getting at LMcD, but I understood your query to have been answered by burning dog in #2.

When I was a boy I followed the bands in my town - two of them, known as the Brass Band, and the Silver Band. My friend played the clarinet in the Brass Band, which was officially 'St.E...'s Brass and Reed Band'. I suppose now that it was to distinguish it from actual Military Bands, which we also experienced from time to time. Our Band was also a marching band - hence my 'following' and my lasting taste for Sousa.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    I see what you're getting at LMcD, but I understood your query to have been answered by burning dog in #2.

When I was a boy I followed the bands in my town - two of them, known as the Brass Band, and the Silver Band. My friend played the clarinet in the Brass Band, which was officially 'St.E...'s Brass and Reed Band'. I suppose now that it was to distinguish it from actual Military Bands, which we also experienced from time to time. Our Band was also a marching band - hence my 'following' and my lasting taste for Sousa.
                    Might I point out that a ‘silver band’ and a ‘brass band’ are one of the same. The name silver has an unknown origin. It is thought that a band had their instruments silver plated, for some reason.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

The term ‘concert band’ is sometimes used to differentiate bands which include woodwind from ‘brass bands’.

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Might I point out that a ‘silver band’ and a ‘brass band’ are one of the same. The name silver has an unknown origin. It is thought that a band had their instruments silver plated, for some reason.
                        Electroplating began in this country as an industrial process in the 1850s. It became reliable and comparatively cheap to electroplate brass instruments in the 1870s. Such treatment provided a luxury finish, more resistance to corrosion, and a semi-permanent gleam. When bands first went silver, they were referred to as silver-plated bands. That got truncated to silver bands as their number increased. The big explosion in silver bands came around 1902, when a complete set of new "silver" instruments typically cost £350, a big sum equivalent to £50,000 today. Often, Bands paid over three years. Clearly, changing to a Silver Band denoted a successful outfit with money to invest: a band that was more that "flash"!
                        (As the South of England has long been richer than its North, so it is no surprise that the conversion rate of Southern Brass Bands to Silver was greater than that achieved in Lancashire and Yorkshire.)
                        Last edited by edashtav; 09-10-19, 16:24.

Comment

• Dave Payn
                          • Dec 2016

Frank and Denis were not related. For a start, Denis was English and Frank was Australian.

As for the other point of accuracy, it was indeed Frank Wright who arranged the brass band version. Gordon Jacob’s version is for orchestra.

Comment

• Dave Payn
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            To me the brass band setting of Holst's wonderful "Hammersmith" is more vivid than the orchestral, however.
                            There is no brass band version of Hammersmith Prelude and Scherzo as far as I’m aware. (I’m not sure it would work if there was). It was written for the BBC Military Band but as I seem to remember reading, it was never actually performed by them but received its premiere in the US in 1932.
                            Last edited by Dave Payn; 09-10-19, 13:31.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

I quite liked the concept of the "Hackney Colliery Band" who were featured on In Tune a while ago.

Good music too.

OG

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                                I quite liked the concept of the "Hackney Colliery Band" who were featured on In Tune a while ago.

Good music too.

OG
                                You beat me to it
                                we did a great project together a few years ago with young players at the Roundhouse
                                very cool dudes

These are good n'all (Steve from HCB also plays in this one ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3RK...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Comment

Working...
                                X