X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Sheet music

I wanted some music for a group recently, and found some available from two publishers - Schott and UE. Sheet music now seems to be available as printed copies, but also as downloads. The downloads are cheaper, as one might perhaps expect, though generally I do like to have at least one printed version. What I didn't expect was that as these companies appear to have bases in Germany, that the postage costs would be considerably more than a Royal Mail first class stamp, and presumably with a very limited market the firms aren't concerned about keeping shipping costs low. That felt like a double whammy.

Maybe next time I'll go for the downloads.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Have you checked websites such as Presto and Banks Musicstore?
    Sometimes they seem to 'absorb' any additional postage costs (presumably because they get a discount?).
    Or maybe it's included in the price you have to pay anyway!
    Of course, if you can't collect from one of their outlets you'd still have UK postage to pay.

A slightly different situation from yours, but I recently ordered scores of Tippett's SQ4 and SQ5 (published by Schott) from Banks here in York.
    I had to wait a while, as it seemed that this became some sort of special order and the copies had to be printed, but I ended up paying only the list price I had seen quoted elsewhere.
    I guess that print on demand is fairly straightforward and avoids holding stock.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I wish I'd checked Presto. Currently they have on offer on music from Schott, which reduces prices further. I suppose I could try to cancel my order, and re-order from Presto, though it might be too late.

I didn't know about the other firm you've mentioned.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Some sheet music downloads are of good quality, but if my experience is anything to go by, I recommend that you avoid Musicroom downloads like the plague. They are formatted to print very small, and you have to override this before printing. I found the instructions confusing, ending up with barely readable music, and there’s no second chance.

The downside to downloads is the need to print out the files anyway, and then collate and bind them. Alternatively, you can read from a tablet, but this needs to be a large one and an iPad Pro will see you wave goodbye to £1,000.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Have you checked websites such as Presto and Banks Musicstore?
          Sometimes they seem to 'absorb' any additional postage costs (presumably because they get a discount?).
          Or maybe it's included in the price you have to pay anyway!
          Of course, if you can't collect from one of their outlets you'd still have UK postage to pay.

A slightly different situation from yours, but I recently ordered scores of Tippett's SQ4 and SQ5 (published by Schott) from Banks here in York.
          I had to wait a while, as it seemed that this became some sort of special order and the copies had to be printed, but I ended up paying only the list price I had seen quoted elsewhere.
          I guess that print on demand is fairly straightforward and avoids holding stock.
          Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Some sheet music downloads are of good quality, but if my experience is anything to go by, I recommend that you avoid Musicroom downloads like the plague. They are formatted to print very small, and you have to override this before printing. I found the instructions confusing, ending up with barely readable music, and there’s no second chance.

The downside to downloads is the need to print out the files anyway, and then collate and bind them. Alternatively, you can read from a tablet, but this needs to be a large one and an iPad Pro will see you wave goodbye to £1,000.
          Sorry: yes, Musicroom not Musicstore.
          Didn't know that about their downloads, Alpie (had no occasion to!).

Comment

Working...
          X