Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

I've heard of dusty answers but this is my first encounter with crusty ones.

I wonder with what kind of baguette the timpanist in such a symphony might play his/her part.

I don't know about Sir Andrew Hovis but would such a piece be suitable in an unLevined form?

And might it be a competitive challenge in a future Great British Symphoff?

Despite writing some mavellous symphonies, Tchaikovsky had the good sense to put his Valse des flours in a ballet score.

Does such a symphony do what it says on the baking tin? Perhaps it does, whichever way you slice it.

I suspect that this thread will soon become toast especially if it receives any more responses like this one!...

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Here's the real answer:

Vivaldi Sinfonia no 3 in G major RV 149

How come?
      You can make bread with Potato Flour.
      One variety of potato is Vivaldi, so-called, apparently, because it can be grown in the Four Seasons.
      Q.E.D.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
        Listening to yle-klassinen this afternoon, I saw on the playlist Bread: symphony no. 3. A google search offers no clue as to who this Ms or Mr Bread might be. Has anyone heard of this composer?
        Since BSP has no sense of humor and is seriously pun-challenged, I actually want to solve this riddle in all seriousness. Do you have a link to the program page, or at least the time of day that you saw the selection? The challenge is all the more difficult given that Finnish is an impossible language to navigate for non-Finns like me. Here's one example of a page from YLE Radio 1, which doesn't have your selection, AFAICT:

BBC R3 is an infinitely easier page to navigate by comparison. (Be grateful for what you guys have.)

Comment

• Bella Kemp
          • Aug 2014

Thanks BSP - it was intended as a serious question! I saw the reference at about 5pm on the 22nd June. The recording was played at about 3 as I recall. Y-klassinen is a great station but their website is bizzare: the link that leads to what has been recently played is called: Soon It Rang and Last Played! As I posted earlier, I think LMcD may have cracked it with his suggestion of Tadeusz Baird, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Thanks BSP - it was intended as a serious question! I saw the reference at about 5pm on the 22nd June. The recording was played at about 3 as I recall. Y-klassinen is a great station but their website is bizzare: the link that leads to what has been recently played is called: Soon It Rang and Last Played! As I posted earlier, I think LMcD may have cracked it with his suggestion of Tadeusz Baird, but any other suggestions are welcome.
            I've emailed yle.fi and will let you know of any reply. (A few months ago I corresponded with the Carl Nielsen Society and they were very helpful, so there's every likelihood that their Nordic neighbours might prove equally obliging).

Comment

• Bella Kemp
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              I've emailed yle.fi and will let you know of any reply. (A few months ago I corresponded with the Carl Nielsen Society and they were very helpful, so there's every likelihood that their Nordic neighbours might prove equally obliging).
              Thank you very much!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Listening to yle-klassinen this afternoon, I saw on the playlist Bread: symphony no. 3. A google search offers no clue as to who this Ms or Mr Bread might be. Has anyone heard of this composer?
                Too much loafing about for my taste.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

I've sent a PM to the two most interested parties, but just for the record (so to speak), according to the producer at yleareena it seems that the work in question was the 3rd symphony by Helvi Leiviska., in a performance by the (Finnish) Radio Symphony Orchestra under Sakari Oramo. A performance conducted by Hannu Lintu can be found by googling 'Finnish Independence Gala Concert 2016'.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Helvi Leiviska..
                      Many thanks, LMcD

Interesting surname - it's the Finnish for "talented". (Her middle name is also a type of Forget-Me-Not.)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Many thanks, LMcD

Interesting surname - it's the Finnish for "talented". (Her middle name is also a type of Forget-Me-Not.)
                        'But is she truly an upper-crust composer born and bread?', he asked with a rye smile. And the reference to Forget-Me-Not is definitely a bloomer!

As usual, very sorry...

Re bloomer, are there extra points for the triple pun?
                        Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 24-06-19, 18:25.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                          • Aug 2014

Thanks LMcD. How on earth did that name become Bread! Yleklassinen is noted for championing Finnish composers who are all but unknown over here so that station is well worth a listen

Comment

Working...
                          X