X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Electric guitar pedals

Mmmm - you're wondering why this is here in a section on classical music! Some of us learnt "classical" instruments in the past, such as piano, flute, violin, recorder, while others tried acoustic guitars, then electric guitars or electronic keyboards or synthesizers.

Observant readers will have noticed a few threads about using electronics with other instruments - in my case using live electronics with recorders. One suggestion which emerged was to use pitch shifters. Interestingly there are also tuning devices, which also make sense for electric guitars as it is likely to be all but impossible to tune an electric guitar in a "live" environment - though players of more conventional classical instruments might actually prefer to tune their instruments in a conventional way.

There appear to be several ways of changing the sound of an instrument, whether purely acoustic or electric/electronic.

A large range of plug-in units (pedals) is available for electric guitars. This is a world which may very well have passed by those of us who learned more conventional classical instruments.

Another way of changing instrumental sounds is to feed the sound of an instrument via a microphone into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and then use one of many hundreds (thousands) of software plug-ins to change/modify the sounds.

To try to get to grips with some of this, I looked for more information about guitar pedals, and there's quite an interesting video here - https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/201...ffects-pedals/

For some who may have come to classical music from rock and pop first, this may be very old news, but others may be completely ignorant of these aspects of instrumental playing. It's worth watching this video at least once, just to become familiar with some of the possible effects. What you do with the knowledge gained later on - that's up to you!

It looks as though most of the guitar pedals take in an input signal via a large jack, (stereo??) and output an analogue signal via a similar jack. It's a bit of a surprise that the world hasn't moved on to use digital inputs/outputs - but then it probably has, and my searches haven't found those devices yet.

As mentioned elsewhere, my internet is not always the same as everyone else's.
Working...
X