• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Queen Victoria and Music

Did anyone watch this programme shown (or maybe re-shown) yesterday?

Exploring the famous monarch in a way that has never been done before – through music.

Lucie Worsley's presentation avoided the worst of BBC silliness and gave, I thought, a considered and informed account of the importance of music in the life of Victoria and Albert. It also showed what an influence they had on the musical life of Britain. I personally did not know, for instance, that Victoria had had a private 'command' performance of Lohengrin at Windsor in later life.

Wagner’s Lohengrin was her choice for a command performance at Windsor in 1899, just 18 months before she died. Listening to its almost unbearably bittersweet prelude of strings, you can’t help but suspect her choice gives an insight into the lonely heart of an elderly queen who was also very human.

Mrs A. and I really enjoyed the programme.

A Times review here:

Poor Queen Victoria, condemned to be remembered as forever “not amused”. I think it’s probably to do with the omnipresent, unsmiling photographs of the “Widow of Windsor”, as she was in her lonely later life after the death of her beloved Albert. However, her intimate journals, the daily record of h
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

It was a re-showing, I saw it a few weeks ago and found it interesting.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

During a visit to Balmoral Castle a couple of years ago, we learned that it hosted a Royal Command Performance of 'The Mikado' in 1891.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        During a visit to Balmoral Castle a couple of years ago, we learned that it hosted a Royal Command Performance of 'The Mikado' in 1891.
        I didn't know about that - but she famously ordered a performance of The Gondoliers at Windsor Castle in the Spring of that year.

... and, apparently, was amused; even by "And one of us will be a queen". Sir Arthur Sullivan (one of the queen's favourites) was invited to conduct the performance, but Mr William Gilbert was left out of the invitation.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Yes, Lucy missed out on G&S.

I was surprised at how musically literate (if dull and uninspired!) Prince Albert was, as evidenced by the manuscript books of his own songs in his own hand.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Does anyone recall going to 'An Evening with Queen Victoria' in the 80s? It was a delightful experience, with Prunella Scales reading from Queen Victoria's letters, interspersed with Richard Burnett (of Finchcocks) playing pieces on a fortepiano. It was also recorded for Argo, but I wonder if it ever made it to CD.

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Does anyone recall going to 'An Evening with Queen Victoria' in the 80s? It was a delightful experience, with Prunella Scales reading from Queen Victoria's letters, interspersed with Richard Burnett (of Finchcocks) playing pieces on a fortepiano. It was also recorded for Argo, but I wonder if it ever made it to CD.
              Yes indeed. I saw it at the Lyric Hammersmith and I think Ian Partridge sang as well as Prunella Scales reading from the diaries. A delightful evening.
              Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed Lucy W's programme (which I missed on its first outing), though it was surprising to see G&S left out. Still, the Wagner performance was news to me too, and there was some other interesting stuff in there too.

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

IIRC, Prince Albert's brother Ernst was an enthusiastic amateur composer. Liszt conducted an opera of his while he was working at Weimar and wrote several works based on pieces by him too.
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  Still, the Wagner performance was news to me too,
                  Apparently Wagner was a fan of hers, too:

Wagner met's Britain's Queen in 1855 and the two were delighted with each other, writes Stephen Moss
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Apparently Wagner was a fan of hers, too:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...queen-victoria
                    Thanks for that. Fascinating.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Did anyone watch this programme shown (or maybe re-shown) yesterday?

Exploring the famous monarch in a way that has never been done before – through music.

Lucie Worsley's presentation avoided the worst of BBC silliness and gave, I thought, a considered and informed account of the importance of music in the life of Victoria and Albert. It also showed what an influence they had on the musical life of Britain. I personally did not know, for instance, that Victoria had had a private 'command' performance of Lohengrin at Windsor in later life.

Wagner’s Lohengrin was her choice for a command performance at Windsor in 1899, just 18 months before she died. Listening to its almost unbearably bittersweet prelude of strings, you can’t help but suspect her choice gives an insight into the lonely heart of an elderly queen who was also very human.

Mrs A. and I really enjoyed the programme.

A Times review here:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/l...tain-hfxncg6rg
                      Not seen it yet. So it wasn't all about Lucy Worsley? Surely she was dressing up in period costumes?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Not seen it yet. So it wasn't all about Lucy Worsley? Surely she was dressing up in period costumes?
                        Not as far as I remember.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                        X