X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Schubert. 'Great' Symphony in C Major.

Could anyone recommend a recording that has ALL the repeats please? I'm going through one of my obsessive phases with this work and would love to hear it absolutely completely. I tried to find a cd of the James Loughran recording with the Hallé which, afaik, was the first recording to be issued with all the repeats.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

One of the very best recordings of the work, ever:

(And "Used" for £2 including P&P? It'd be rude not to! )
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Abbado,Orchestra Mozart or Chamber Orchestra of Europe
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Original issue CD, IIRC first on period instruments, with all repeats.... ("with all the repeats, God help us" - Mackerras).

Positive if somewhat qualified G-reviews at the time, which I would enthusiastically underwrite....
        See Gramophone 4/1990 for a comparison of Mackerras, Norrington, Goodman by LS. He remarks that in the scherzo, Norrington alone "makes the repeat in the da capo", so perhaps this isn't as straightforward as it seems....

He enjoyed them all, with a personal preference for Norrington.
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-06-19, 15:30.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Original issue CD, IIRC first on period instruments, with all repeats.... ("with all the repeats, God help us" - Mackerras).

Positive if somewhat qualified G-reviews at the time, which I would enthusiastically underwrite....
          Absolutely agree, and yes, every single one there.
          I'm pretty sure the Philharmonia/Mackerras on Signum has all the repeats too, but would have to check.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            Absolutely agree, and yes, every single one there.
            I'm pretty sure the Philharmonia/Mackerras on Signum has all the repeats too, but would have to check.
            We'd have to check the Telarc/SCO too... this might try our patience at some point....

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Many thanks indeed for your help!

Much appreciated.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Duly ordered! Thanks.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

See Gramophone 4/1990 for a comparison of Mackerras, Norrington, Goodman by LS. He remarks that Norrington alone "makes the repeat in the da capo", so perhaps this isn't as straightforward as it seems....

He enjoyed them all, with a personal preference for Norrington.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

There was an LP c1970 on Philips 9500 890, which like the Loughran has all the repeats. Neither of these have appeared on CD - I have the Loughran on MD. The Colin Davis on Sony is I think complete, lasting 62 minutes.
                    Last edited by cloughie; 12-06-19, 22:42.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Wholeheartedly agree...and the others in the same cycle are well worth acquiring, too, not least because you also get the Rosamunde music and the two overtures in the Italian style, which I love.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I think the Philharmonia, with Sir Charles Mackerras observes all the repeats. I’m not too sure about my favourite one, Orchestra Mozart/Claudio Abbado.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• CallMePaul
                          • Jan 2014

In their complete cycle, Anima Aeterna Brugge/ Jos van Immerseel play all the symphonies with all marked repeats. Although a period instrument ensemble, the orchestra plays at a' = 440; van Immerseel explains his decision in the excellent sleeve notes. These performances are my first choice for all the symphonies (I only have alternatives for nos 3, 8 and 9). As the numbering of Schubert's later symphonies is controversial, the booklet refers to die Unvollendete and die Grosse without giving them numbers.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            Wholeheartedly agree...and the others in the same cycle are well worth acquiring, too, not least because you also get the Rosamunde music and the two overtures in the Italian style, which I love.
                            I'm not too surprised at seeing that disc going cheap. No, not a negative appraisal, not in the least, it's just that it has appeared in several compilations in addition to its original single disc release. I have it in both the Nimbus 8 disc Schubert set and the Brilliant classics 40 disc Schubert Masterworks box. Fortunately, the former was released before I could budget for the single disc. I'm happy to join in with the endorsement of this suggestion.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I'm not too surprised at seeing that disc going cheap. No, not a negative appraisal, not in the least, it's just that it has appeared in several compilations in addition to its original single disc release. I have it in both the Nimbus 8 disc Schubert set and the Brilliant classics 40 disc Schubert Masterworks box. Fortunately, the former was released before I could budget for the single disc. I'm happy to join in with the endorsement of this suggestion.
                              I don't seem to recall the fillers - the Rosamunde music and the two overtures in the Italian style - being included in the compilations, am I right, Bryn? In which case the single discs are the only way to get them.

Comment

Working...
                              X