• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Alternative Bach

I'm enjoying this series of programmes presented by Mahan Esfahani.

Any thoughts, anyone?
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I particularly liked this Sunday's programme. Listening to the Klemperer Brandenberg I was thinking 'gosh that's some trumpeter' and then of course came the explanation that it was a soprano sax. I say in my defence that it was a very old recording...The Boulanger recording of 'Christ lag in Todesbanden I found interesting not least because it rather confirmed my suspicion that not only do I not fall into the HIPP or nothing camp, but even worse I probably actually prefer non HIPP more often than not. Double heresy given that family members are active at high level and for decades in the HIPP world.
    Can't say I shared ME's enthusiasm for the Isolde Ahlgrimm harpsichord playing, but I suspect that has to do with not being a keyboard player - the booming pedal notes were certainly different though.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Wonderful Sunday night listening, often listen over my late supper (between the Press Previews and any late film/drama series choice...).
      He is a very engaging presenter and a great communicator who radiates his own love of the music sans-frontières...

Klemperer's 1954 recordings of the Bach Suites were among the first I bought, so like many people I've been on a long journey of discovery since... from Scherchen's various arrangements to Sandor Vegh live in Salzburg, from Jordi Savall to the BCJ.... most recently Isabelle Faust with an early version of Suite No.2 for Violin and the AAMB....

​All in the spirit of the Great Arranger...
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-03-19, 01:44.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Wonderful Sunday night listening, often listen over my late supper (between the Press Previews and any late film/drama series choice...).
        He is a very engaging presenter and a great communicator who radiates his own love of the music sans-frontières...

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Sounds like a good one to catch up on!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• agingjb
            • Apr 2007

Is this the programme announced by the repetitive trailer that claims the Bach's music is only presented in one prescribed orthodox way? A dubious premise I would have thought.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
              Is this the programme announced by the repetitive trailer that claims the Bach's music is only presented in one prescribed orthodox way? A dubious premise I would have thought.
              Yes, and yet another example of how the fad for blanket advertising does the programme in question a disservice.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
                Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Yes, and yet another example of how the fad for blanket advertising does the programme in question a disservice.
                Yes - this is what put me off listening to the programme. The enthusiastic comments on this Thread have made me much keener to hear it.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Yes - this is what put me off listening to the programme. The enthusiastic comments on this Thread have made me much keener to hear it.
                  I started listening despite the trailer and am glad I did so. Some of what he says I don't necessarily agree with, but I've heard recordings which otherwise I would never have come across, and had the chance to hear some of the differences in performance practice presented in one place at one time. That it is one person's view and selection doesn't matter when the alternative(in my case) is not hearing them at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X