X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bella Kemp
    • Aug 2014

Joy in music

Listening last night to the final movement of Gliere's harp concerto I was struck with how utterly joyous this music is, which then led me to consider where else one might find such emotion (as opposed to mere lightheartedness or jollity.) I appreciate this must be to an extent subjective; but for me, Rossini overtures are jolly - a superficial, albeit nevertheless pleasant and welcome emotion - whereas Appalachian Spring, Saint Saen's 5th piano concerto, parts of Mahler's 3rd symphony and Haydn's 39th symphony are imbued with joy. (I might add that Mahler's Third Symphony is, for me, the finest achievement of western civilisation, containing, as it does, every possible human emotion - but that's another story.) Joy makes one realise that, gosh, life may be awful and sometimes despairingly terrible at times, but on the whole it is rather good to be alive - most of those little sperm don't make it so we are the special and lucky ones. Do forum members have any other suggestions?
  • Mal
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
    Listening last night to the final movement of Gliere's harp concerto I was struck with how utterly joyous this music is, which then led me to consider where else one might find such emotion (as opposed to mere lightheartedness or jollity.) I appreciate this must be to an extent subjective; but for me, Rossini overtures are jolly - a superficial, albeit nevertheless pleasant and welcome emotion - whereas Appalachian Spring, Saint Saen's 5th piano concerto, parts of Mahler's 3rd symphony and Haydn's 39th symphony are imbued with joy. (I might add that Mahler's Third Symphony is, for me, the finest achievement of western civilisation, containing, as it does, every possible human emotion - but that's another story.) Joy makes one realise that, gosh, life may be awful and sometimes despairingly terrible at times, but on the whole it is rather good to be alive - most of those little sperm don't make it so we are the special and lucky ones. Do forum members have any other suggestions?
    Most joyous today: Posthorn Serenade, Mozart, the ASMF wind section created an especially joyous mood.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

John McLaughlin - Marbles

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Beethoven's 'Pastoral' Symphony.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Who is this "Joy" everyone is on about???

OK then, I'll nominate the finale of Bartok's second Piano Concerto as the, for me, most joyous moment in music.

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

Mozart : String Quartet K 387,Sonata for 2 Pianos
            Vaughan Williams : Serenade to Music,8th Symphony
            John Field : 1st Piano Sonata
            Kalinnikov : 1st Symphony
            Dvorak : 8th Symphony
            Mendelssohn : Italian Symphony,2nd Cello Sonata
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                Interesting that you choose the Haydn 39, one of his sternest and most fierce Sturm und Drang creations - with a fairly downbeat conclusion. Is it the intensity of its contrasts (e.g. slow movement, trio etc) that finds a response in you?)

First thing to come to my own mind as purely joyous (in its conclusions) would be the Martinu 4th... and then, the first three Nielsen Symphonies (4 and 5 deal with greater extremes)... but joy is a mood I find increasingly elusive IRL, and I tend to avoid such works just now... (mind you, that Berwald 2nd....).

The finale of Mahler's 3rd once produced such personal, heart-bursting euphoria it was extremely difficult to bear, or to reach the end of without fearing for my survival. I would never have described it as "joy".
                I'm not sure I'll ever be able to, or want to, face it again. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing .
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-02-19, 02:23.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

20 Suggestions:

Ramirez - Misa Criolla
                  Coleridge-Taylor - Hiawatha
                  Bolcom - Rags
                  Piazzolla - Tangos
                  Moncayo - Huapango
                  Sibelius - Symphony No 5
                  Moross - The Big Country
                  Reich - Clapping Music
                  Copland - Ching a Ring Chaw
                  Bearcroft - Joyous Carillon
                  Bhundus - Chekudya Chose
                  Cass - Make Your Own Kind of Music
                  Bedford - Alleluia Timpanis
                  L Harrison - Symphony No 3
                  Simone - Ain't Got No, I Got Life
                  Flynt - Hillbilly Tape Music
                  Kapsberger - Canarios
                  W Lloyd Webber - Aurora
                  Lambert - The Rio Grande
                  Respighi - The Pines of Rome

(As for harp music, I wouldn't call Henriette Renie especially joyous but she is quite interesting - it would be the Xavier de Maistre interpretations that I would recommend)
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 14-02-19, 03:14.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

My list would be a long one and I don't have time at the moment, but Haydn would certainly figure highly on it - I think his music often personifies joy more than most.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

Lovely but I could only get half way...I think my choice would be Mendelssohn’s Midsummer Nights Dream incidental music, mainly for memories. Bottoms up.

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Vivaldi!!

Comment

• kea
                            • Dec 2013

No love for the last movement of Beethoven 9 for some reason

Actually it is usually Beethoven I look to for joy although more often the 7th symphony, the "Hammerklavier", the Op. 135 string quartet, the Grosse Fuge as well as its subsequent replacement finale (in somewhat different ways). Joy isn't necessarily the most positive of emotions though, it has an undercurrent of wildness, trampling over everything in its path without regard for what came before. Beethoven I think was quite good at problematising it in this way while still allowing it to win out. Something like Mahler 3 (or 2 or 8) meanwhile tries to end with a grand spiritual apotheosis that's wholly convincing while you're listening to it but afterwards raises questions in your mind (such as, e.g., "whatever happened to that O Mensch")

Comment

• greenilex
                              • Nov 2010

Wot the Euro national anthem?

Comment

Working...
                              X