• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Philip Glass

Is he a major contemporary composer whose works will be remembered as emblematic of the late twentieth/early twenty-first centuries, or a knowing no-talent manufacturing minimalist guff for an audience of trendies and poseurs?

You tell me!
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Both. The former in his early, post-studentship works. The latter, later.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      That may overstate the case,Bryn : an interesting historical figure, a man of his times; perhaps, like Luigi Russolo, mentioned in studies but rarely played in public.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Up to and including Einstein on the Beach fantastic... after that he seemed to "miss the point" about bringing the "underneath" of music to the surface?
        BUT, given that he spent a large part of his early career driving a taxi and working epic hours I wouldn't begrudge his success

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Some of his works touch me more than others. I consider "Aknahten" really powerful and emotive.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Up to and including Einstein on the Beach fantastic... after that he seemed to "miss the point" about bringing the "underneath" of music to the surface?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Some of his works touch me more than others. I consider "Aknahten" really powerful and emotive.
              If I can do the logistics I'd like to see/hear Aknahten again. https://www.eno.org/whats-on/akhnaten/

I saw the much earlier ENO production - not the 2016 one. Never saw Einstein on the Beach, but did do Satyagraha - which I thought was interesting "in its way", but wouldn't rush to see again.

https://www.eno.org/operas/satyagraha/ 2017/18 season.

Satyagraha | 1 Feb – 27 Feb 2018 | London Coliseum |Tickets from £12, with 500 tickets available at every performance for £20 or less. Find out more: https:/...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiv-LU82t4 Aknahten

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Or even

Or even this little track that comes before their best known ditty

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Started off inventive, then became a lazy ‘who needs a tune?’ minimalist.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    If I can do the logistics I'd like to see/hear Aknahten again. https://www.eno.org/whats-on/akhnaten/

I saw the much earlier ENO production - not the 2016 one. Never saw Einstein on the Beach, but did do Satyagraha - which I thought was interesting "in its way", but wouldn't rush to see again.

https://www.eno.org/operas/satyagraha/ 2017/18 season.

Satyagraha | 1 Feb – 27 Feb 2018 | London Coliseum |Tickets from £12, with 500 tickets available at every performance for £20 or less. Find out more: https:/...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiv-LU82t4 Aknahten
                    The Paris production of Einstein on the Beach can be found online and on Blu-ray. It's the complete work, rather than the shorter version to be found on the Sony or Nonesuch CDs.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Notwithstanding the more informed opinion here, I would want to approach this by narrowing it down to a decade. Yes, I realise that the roots of it are in the 1960s. But when I listen to Riley, I hear the 1970s. It almost is the 1970s to my ears. When I listen to Glass, I hear the 1980s. It almost is the 1980s. And on that basis, I would ask for alternative candidates who are synonymous with the 1980s. I don't think there are any, at least not with a similar sort of reach. But, of course, I am not expecting many people to agree with the basic premise.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

My first response was more or less identical to Bryn's. I thought Einstein was potentially opening a door onto a whole new way of conceiving music theatre, and that Glass's contribution was certainly the closest musical approach to Wilson's stage concept that could be imagined; but Akhnaten, which I saw in London some time in the 1980s, is "just an opera", and in fact hardly even that given the thinness of its materials and Glass's crude orchestration (which hasn't improved much in the intervening decades from what I've heard). At a certain point the repetition in his work ceased to be a portal to new kinds of musical experience and became instead a pale imitation of accompaniment figures from the 19th century, a background without a foreground. I suppose this is what's called "mellowing with age"...

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          My first response was more or less identical to Bryn's. I thought Einstein was potentially opening a door onto a whole new way of conceiving music theatre, and that Glass's contribution was certainly the closest musical approach to Wilson's stage concept that could be imagined; but Akhnaten, which I saw in London some time in the 1980s, is "just an opera", and in fact hardly even that given the thinness of its materials and Glass's crude orchestration (which hasn't improved much in the intervening decades from what I've heard). At a certain point the repetition in his work ceased to be a portal to new kinds of musical experience and became instead a pale imitation of accompaniment figures from the 19th century, a background without a foreground. I suppose this is what's called "mellowing with age"...
                          While listening to one of his works recently (I forget which one) I had an overwhelming desire to shout 'STOP!!!' at the height of my voice, something I've only otherwise experienced while listening to certain of the Brandenburg Concertos.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I went to hear the Glass ensemble in 1984 at the old Sadlers Wells
                            It was LOUD, relentless and overwhelming and played with extraordinary energy (this was before I heard Workers Union etc)

A bit like the annual trip to hear Messiaen at Lincoln Cathedral I wanted it to go on for ever

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                              While listening to one of his works recently (I forget which one) I had an overwhelming desire to shout 'STOP!!!' at the height of my voice, something I've only otherwise experienced while listening to certain of the Brandenburg Concertos.
                              If you're hinting at certain - shall we say? - Newtonian principles of perpetual motion driving music in certain instances, I would find myself in agreement. My view is that Hindemith satirised it well in a number of his Kammermusik series. Any form of music that does not appear to have to stop to take in breath from time to time provokes the same FGS response in me.

Comment

Working...
                              X