X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Once Was 4
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Just noticed this blog entry from Robert Meyer, recounting the Philharmonia's US/Canada tour with Karajan, the one which included the 'Peter Gibbs incident'.

https://robertmeyer.wordpress.com/20...h-von-karajan/
    Peter Gibbs became leader of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. He died in very strange circumstances which, to my knowledge, have never been explained (does anybody know differently?) He had his own airoplane in which he took off one day and disappeared. I understand that the plane was never found but that Gibbs' body was found some months later in a tree. Pathologists said that he had died not long before he was found. Where was the plane? where had he been in the interim? and why was he found in that tree? Have these questions ever been answered?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
      Peter Gibbs became leader of the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra. He died in very strange circumstances which, to my knowledge, have never been explained (does anybody know differently?) He had his own airoplane in which he took off one day and disappeared. I understand that the plane was never found but that Gibbs' body was found some months later in a tree. Pathologists said that he had died not long before he was found. Where was the plane? where had he been in the interim? and why was he found in that tree? Have these questions ever been answered?
      I take it you are familiar with https://www.byersmusic.com/resources...20rev.2017.pdf .

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        Just noticed this blog entry from Robert Meyer, recounting the Philharmonia's US/Canada tour with Karajan, the one which included the 'Peter Gibbs incident'.

https://robertmeyer.wordpress.com/20...h-von-karajan/
        Thank you!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Fascinating read, thanks .... (felt sorry for the poor grasshoppers though....)

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Again, thank you.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... isn't the evidence that syphilis was a 'New World' disease, introduced to Europe by Columbus's returning sailors - the first written records of an outbreak of syphilis in Europe occurred in 1494. Unlikely, then, that David wd have been a sufferer...

[ ... Michelangelo [1475-1564] is another question, of course.]

I know Europeans like to blame all ills of the world as emanating from our shores, but if you google “history of Syphilis “ you will see that the first recorded outbreak was in France in 1493. Unless Columbus stopped in a French brothel on his way back to reporting to Ferdinand and Isabella, it makes it highly unlikely that this would have originated in the New World. Fwiw, there of reports of chancre type diseases in Pharonic Egypt, which would have raised the possibility that others in the Levant, I.e., the Biblical David, could have contracted it from someone like Bathsheba.
              More relevant, Michelangelo is known to have paid grave robbers to deliver corpses to him so that he could dissect them to study anatomy. It would be more likely that these corpses would have been from common graves bearing lower class individuals and not the Medici women sent to nunneries. Presumably lower socioeconomic status men would be more likely to frequent men and women of easy virtue and thus more likely to be infected.
              Any other point of Medicine you care to debate, Vints?

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Great read, many thanks for posting it. I particularly enjoyed the Karajan story.

Comment

• Darkbloom
                  • Feb 2015

'Repellent' certainly doesn't describe classic recordings like the Philharmonia Falstaff, or the Tchaikovsky ballet suites, which are marvels of music-making, but I feel that the later BPO days were impressive rather than moving for the most part. Karajan obviously commanded the respect of almost all his peers, but when it comes to bursts of inspiration I always return to Furtwangler.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

They don't make 'em like Peter Gibbs anymore!

Comment

Working...
                    X