• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Larry Austin RIP

Sad to hear that Larry Austin died over Christmas
    one of the pioneers of New music

A Cageian conceptual avant gardist. This was the description the New York Times once gave Larry Don Austin who passed away peacefully at age 88. Larry was a prolific composer with almost 60 years of experimental music. For Larry, if he was not challenging the concepts of what defined music,
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Sad to hear that Larry Austin died over Christmas
    one of the pioneers of New music

https://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/?...64&fh_id=13043
    I'm sorry to say that he is only represented, among the recordings I have, by his elaboration of Ives's sketches for a Universe Symphony, though I do have two different recordings of that. I only really know his work by reputation. I must seek out other examples of his work.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

This is the first piece of his I became aware of many years ago

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Among Larry Austin's achievements was being one of the pioneers of freely improvised music, with his New Music Ensemble in Davis, California, in the early 1960s, from which the important journal SOURCE later emerged. He's one of those figures in the American avant-garde whose influence was enormous, although somewhat underappreciated on this side of the pond.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          This is the first piece of his I became aware of many years ago

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesAccidents · Various Artists · Larry AustinSource: Music of the Avant Gardeâ„— 2008 Pogus ProductionsReleased on: ...

http://radiom.org/detail.php?omid=P.AUS.LAR.01
          Thanks for that. Book and CDs duly ordered.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I'm sorry to say that he is only represented, among the recordings I have, by his elaboration of Ives's sketches for a Universe Symphony, though I do have two different recordings of that. I only really know his work by reputation. I must seek out other examples of his work.
            Exactly so for me, too (including the "must seek out" resolution). I had also encountered his works on the old CBS "Leonard Bernstein conducts the Music of Our Time", when I was still wet behind the ears, but was more interested in the Ligeti and Feldman works on that LP. Time to make amends.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Exactly so for me, too (including the "must seek out" resolution). I had also encountered his works on the old CBS "Leonard Bernstein conducts the Music of Our Time", when I was still wet behind the ears, but was more interested in the Ligeti and Feldman works on that LP. Time to make amends.
              Same here - very little publicity on this side around the time he was having influence across the Pond; so thanks to MrGG and Richard for drawing our attention.

Comment

Working...
              X