• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

RIP Ray Sawyer

The singer, who was known for his distinctive eye patch and cowboy hat, has died aged 81.
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Sad news.

When you're in love with a beautiful woman, it's hard.

A natural segway into the Bellamy Brothers' singing "if I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me".

Both are probably now banned in America.

As the article says, Dennis Locorriere was the main man while the more ordinary sounding Ray Sawyer wore an eye patch. This was some time after Nelson who, contrary to common belief, never did and it predated Adam Ant's but only by less than a decade. There were from memory two periods so far as the UK singles chart was concerned. "Sylvia's Mother" of March 1972 was around just before my mate David's mother, Sylvia, went on holiday to see her pen pal in the States. Father was left with the kids and decided the best bet for peace was to take them on holiday. A Pembrokeshire farm. I will always be grateful as when they got back they were full of its wonders and pressed me to get my parents to take me there.

Somehow I managed it and that was the start of proper holidays with walking rather than just going to Margate. Without that occasional angle on life in the ensuing decades, I'd have given up long ago. I mentioned Dr Hook and the Medicine Show, a name with which I never experienced any problems, when Sylvia returned from her jaunt. She said there was only one record worth listening to once you had been to America as she had, that is if you ever do. "Lean On Me". Not without a certain irony now I come to think of it. And I never did.

Anyhow, a few years later it was plain Dr Hook, a name that I spent days trying to get my head around and couldn't do for some reason. "When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman" (1979) preceded "Better Love Next Time" (1979) and "Sexy Eyes" (1980) but all were after "A Little Bit More" (1976) which had an extraordinary (and somewhat peculiar) run in the Lat-Lit chart just a year and a few months after 18 March 1975 when it was founded. On a more profound level, the band recorded songs written by the not insignificant Shel Silverstein whose name I recall was frequently referred to next to theirs during that decade and he is worth learning a bit about if you have the time. Oh, and also, I was looking only this week at some long lists of gigs coming up in the UK and Dr Hook were due to be playing here soon. It is always so sad when those sorts of plans don't happen and for this sort of reason.

When your body's had enough of me
    And I'm layin flat out on the floor
    When you think I've loved you all I can
    I'm gonna love you a little bit more

RIP Ray Sawyer
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-01-19, 12:07.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      Sad news.

When you're in love with a beautiful woman, it's hard.

A natural segway into the Bellamy Brothers' singing "if I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me".

Both are probably now banned in America.

As the article says, Dennis Locorriere was the main man while the more ordinary sounding Ray Sawyer wore an eye patch. This was some time after Nelson who, contrary to common belief, never did and it predated Adam Ant's but only by less than a decade. There were from memory two periods so far as the UK singles chart was concerned. "Sylvia's Mother" of March 1972 was around just before my mate David's mother, Sylvia, went on holiday to see her pen pal in the States. Father was left with the kids and decided the best bet for peace was to take them on holiday. A Pembrokeshire farm. I will always be grateful as when they got back they were full of its wonders and pressed me to get my parents to take me there.

Somehow I managed it and that was the start of proper holidays with walking rather than just going to Margate. Without that occasional angle on life in the ensuing decades, I'd have given up long ago. I mentioned Dr Hook and the Medicine Show, a name with which I never experienced any problems, when Sylvia returned from her jaunt. She said there was only one record worth listening to once you had been to America as she had, that is if you ever do. "Lean On Me". Not without a certain irony now I come to think of it. And I never did.

Anyhow, a few years later it was plain Dr Hook, a name that I spent days trying to get my head around and couldn't do for some reason. "When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman" (1979) preceded "Better Love Next Time" (1979) and "Sexy Eyes" (1980) but all were after "A Little Bit More" (1976) which had an extraordinary (and somewhat peculiar) run in the Lat-Lit chart just a year and a few months after 18 March 1975 when it was founded. On a more profound level, the band recorded songs written by the not insignificant Shel Silverstein whose name I recall was frequently referred to next to theirs during that decade and he is worth learning a bit about if you have the time. Oh, and also, I was looking only this week at some long lists of gigs coming up in the UK and Dr Hook were due to be playing here soon. It is always so sad when those sorts of plans don't happen and for this sort of reason.

When your body's had enough of me
      And I'm layin flat out on the floor
      When you think I've loved you all I can
      I'm gonna love you a little bit more

RIP Ray Sawyer
      RIP Ray - can’t honestly say I really liked Dr Hook, not because of Ray’s playing but more because I never liked Lacorriere’s voice. Shel Silverstein also wrote ‘A boy named Sue’ which I always assumed, but never checked, was from Johnny Cash’s deft pen!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        RIP Ray - can’t honestly say I really liked Dr Hook, not because of Ray’s playing but more because I never liked Lacorriere’s voice. Shel Silverstein also wrote ‘A boy named Sue’ which I always assumed, but never checked, was from Johnny Cash’s deft pen!
        Yes.

And:

Comment

Working...
        X