In the beginning (Copland, 1947) and Genesis Suite (Various, 1945)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

In the beginning (Copland, 1947) and Genesis Suite (Various, 1945)

The choir I sing in is performing Copland's In the beginning

in its next concert, and I have been doing a bit of background reading about the piece (which I confess to not particularly liking) and downloading a couple of recordings (the first such, by Bernstein, and the King's one) to listen to, to supplement the two I already have (Copland's own and the one by the Corydon Singers).

I then got to thinking about the commission that led to Stravinsky's Babel, part of the Genesis Suite:

There is nothing in what I have read in books I have on Copland (Copland/Perlis and Pollack) to suggest that Copland was part of this project, but I can't help wondering if he expected to be approached and wasn't, or in some way was influenced by it.
    Pollack says that Copland was requested to write an a capella work, possibly in Hebrew, would have prefered a spot in the chamber-music concert, but eventually agreed to the conditions; the text he set uses parts of the first and second chapters of Genesis in the King James Bible translation.

So, idle speculation on my part (the Genesis Suite is also set in English) or not?
    Any thoughts on the Copland or the composite work?
    I have downloaded the Naxos version of the Genesis Suite from Deezer, and it's in the listenening queue.
    American Classics - Genesis Suite (1945). Naxos: 8559442. Buy CD or download online. Ernst Senff Choir & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Gerard Schwarz
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    The choir I sing in is performing Copland's In the beginning

in its next concert, and I have been doing a bit of background reading about the piece (which I confess to not particularly liking) ......
    I wondered about this, heard some in the past talk positively about it, never sung it. I listened to it, and found it rather sparse and unattractive. I also noted the very high price of the VS. I had the opportunity to buy one for £1, but it was a twofer - I was obliged to take two if I wanted one!.

You can have one if you want it, I'll post it. Only drawback is that it is highlighted in the Bass part (if you are not a Bass). But you have to PM me today - because I leave for foreign climes for just over 5 weeks tomorrow.

(I'm keeping one in case I'm obliged to sing it in a programme. As I'm not fond of it, I wouldn't want to pay approaching £20 for a VS).

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      I wondered about this, heard some in the past talk positively about it, never sung it. I listened to it, and found it rather sparse and unattractive. I also noted the very high price of the VS. I had the opportunity to buy one for £1, but it was a twofer - I was obliged to take two if I wanted one!.

You can have one if you want it, I'll post it. Only drawback is that it is highlighted in the Bass part (if you are not a Bass). But you have to PM me today - because I leave for foreign climes for just over 5 weeks tomorrow.

(I'm keeping one in case I'm obliged to sing it in a programme. As I'm not fond of it, I wouldn't want to pay approaching £20 for a VS).
      PM sent, along with thanks for this very kind offer.

Comment

Working...
      X