X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

George Butterworth: Words, Deeds & Memory

I did mention this on the GSKB thread, but I thought I'd announce it more widely. I do hope it's permissible, but I've given so much notice that it's on the way that no-one can be surprised, surely.

It is of course the best book on Butterworth ever written, and possibly one of the best biographies of all time. Or possibly not,.. Maybe it's just an emergent property of a disordered mind,,,

Brookes, Phillip: George Butterworth - Words, Deeds & Memory, an unconventional biography. Published in November 2018. Available at mph Muenchen.
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

And you can all see that I entitled this thread wrongly (it's quite late and the mosquitoes are distracting). Oh dear...

It would be nice if someone in authority could change 'Music' to 'Memory'.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

The first hint of feedback. This is from a Professor at the Max-Reger-Institut, who is reviewing the book for a German magazine. He recently wrote to the publishers, saying:

"...ein absolut wunderbares Buch. Herzliche Glückwünsche"

I'm witholding his name till the review is published (I'll link it here if I can). Even if you don't speak German, the first sentence is quite obvious.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I hope to buy this book someday!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

There's a certain, er, lighthearted paradox, in a professor at an anything-to-do-with-Max-Reger institution, praising a publication about George Butterworth!

Comment

Working...
          X