Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Bearing in mind what happened to one of William Walton's scores, was all the music that RVW composed for 'Scott Of The Antarctic' actually used in the film?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Bearing in mind what happened to one of William Walton's scores, was all the music that RVW composed for 'Scott Of The Antarctic' actually used in the film?
      Most of it - and unique (AFAIK) in that the producers added extra "footage" of the Antarctic landscape in order to accommodate more of RVW's Music.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        True, but i'm sure he once went to the beach (or was it Beethoven who never saw the sea ?)
        I like a good tangent ..... I remembered reading that Beethoven once went to Holland with his mother to visit relations and google found me a reference which quotes a letter describing a visit to Rotterdam in 1783.

"A return visit by the Beethovens was arranged; Johann was unable to go, and so Beethoven went with his mother. During the journey down the Rhine, the weather was so cold that his mother reportedly held his feet in her lap to prevent frostbite. They stayed in Rotterdam for some time, and Beethoven played in several great houses there, astonishing people with his ability. He also performed on the piano at the Royal Court in The Hague, some ten miles away"

I would imagine you could not visit Rotterdam "for some time" without seeing the sea.

I'm pretty sure Schubert never saw the sea despite writing numerous songs about it. To come vaguely back to the Antarctic: there is a lot of ice, snow and wind in Winterrreise.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

A marvellous work. In conjunction with Richard Strauss’s Eine Aplinesinfonie.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I like a good tangent ..... I remembered reading that Beethoven once went to Holland with his mother to visit relations and google found me a reference which quotes a letter describing a visit to Rotterdam in 1783.

"A return visit by the Beethovens was arranged; Johann was unable to go, and so Beethoven went with his mother. During the journey down the Rhine, the weather was so cold that his mother reportedly held his feet in her lap to prevent frostbite. They stayed in Rotterdam for some time, and Beethoven played in several great houses there, astonishing people with his ability. He also performed on the piano at the Royal Court in The Hague, some ten miles away"

I would imagine you could not visit Rotterdam "for some time" without seeing the sea.

I'm pretty sure Schubert never saw the sea despite writing numerous songs about it. To come vaguely back to the Antarctic: there is a lot of ice, snow and wind in Winterrreise.

And there's roughly 56% of an iceberg in Alban!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              A marvellous work. In conjunction with Richard Strauss’s Eine Aplinesinfonie.
              Never heard of it

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Nine!
                You've suddenly become very Germanic. I suppose it's Ferneyhough...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Ah - but Einstein never left Earth.
                  He did - relatively.

Comment

Working...
                  X