X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I listened to Backhaus in K332. As you say, in the last movement his playing is phenomenal. That's the sort of playing I was expecting Krystian Zimerman would provide - if he records it. However in other movements his tempi vary - a bit uneven - it's slightly mannered. Out of curiosity I went even further back to Schnabel, and listened to K330 - it's OK but not perhaps doesn't live up to my ideal. As I listened I realised that I probably heard Walter Klien play this many years ago. I haven't heard the Haskil yet.
    Yes I can see how you would think it mannered: he slows slightly for the second and third themes. I think it gives them a surprising, thoughtful, even melancholy flavour, as if preparing us for the slow movement's turns to the minor (which I think he does with all that old-school feeling for expressive line).

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

For many years, I have listened to, and loved the set (Vox) by Walter Klien, countless times, and it always 'lifts' me. Some while agao, I acquired Barenboim's EMI set, which is superb, of course, but it's Walter Klien who is my 'go to' set.... I see no reason to search an alternative.

Comment

Working...
      X